Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSpike punked out on She Hate Me.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=46432&mesg_id=46581
46581, Spike punked out on She Hate Me.
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Dec-23-05 01:58 AM
Spike is heavyhanded. Spike is weak on plot and thematically all over the place.

this we all know.

now that that is out the way, She Hate Me coulda been a great flick.

and i'm not talking about the AIDSvaccinegate scandal plotline.

i'm talking about the hands-on sperm donor plotline. not really, but that coulda worked as a driving plot device.

it woulda been hella politically incorrect. it woulda made little sense. it woulda pissed off hella folks and rightfully so. but who watches Spike joints for plot?

the relationship between Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington's characters was worthy of a full film. her ambiguous preferences in terms of sexuality and commitment and his inability to accept them had hella merit. the scenes where they argue about the ending of their relationship and the flashback of him actually busting her in the act had hella emotional weight to it, and were acted perfectly. they showed how much potential this flick had.

spike coulda kept all the wacky shit. even the three way kiss. this is a spike joint after all we're talking about. i think he just put the other whistleblower issues in there to soften the zaniness up. if woulda been more open about it being farcical the flick woulda been much better.

-30-

Ike Manhood.