Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSimple
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20712
20712, Simple
Posted by REDeye, Fri Oct-27-00 02:18 PM
White people have other options. If they don't like Jim Carrey, they can go see a Tom Cruise movie or a Harrison Ford movie. If they don't like the Drew Carey they can watch E.R. or Family Law or a multitude of other shows.

If blacks don't like the Jamie Foxx show and want to see a more positive representation of our people (and I don't think Foxx is even close to the worse offender), there isn't much else to watch. If we don't like Booty Call or Friday, what else can we go see? Spike's only making so many movies. Denzel doesn't work that much.

The issue has never been about whether or not we can do straight comedy or do some less serious material. The issue is that this buffoonery is just about all you get to see us do.

So we're mad when the networks don't give positive black shows a chance. We're mad when studios don't greelight projects that show us in a positive light.

Most of all, however, I am mad at my people who watch these "comedy" shows and go to see these degrading movies thinking there's nothing wrong with them.

Don't be fooled. In this critical state of black entertainment, there is no such thing as "just a comedy."

RED

Buffoonery is NOT soooo last millennium.