Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectwell...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20690
20690, well...
Posted by qtpi6, Sat Oct-21-00 04:28 PM
i just saw the movie and read the reviews... i understand where aaron is coming from but i still walked away from the movie feeling like i learned something. maybe just some small things, but i had a few thoughts in my mind as i sat silent thru the credits, not knowing what to say.

1) the word "nigger" doesn't feel much like a term of endearment right now. i don't feel much like using that word even in play anymore.

2) not everyone knows ALL the history that was presented by Spike Lee, thus the movie does have a purpose. during the last 20 minutes, i definitely was thinking about watching cartoons as a child and seeing buffoonish, sambo depictions of black folk yet never realizing what exactly the image was saying/represented. it really made me think about the children i might have one day, and what i want to teach them so that they recognize the history and meaning behind such images.

maybe not the deepest comments, but my thoughts nonetheless. i am glad i saw the movie, it made me THINK if nothing else.

qtpi6

"You can't pretend there is nothing there, I look in your eyes and see you care." -- EWF, Can't Hide Love