Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOne thing I noticed about a lot of Spike Lee's Flicks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20664
20664, One thing I noticed about a lot of Spike Lee's Flicks
Posted by guest, Sat Oct-21-00 01:15 AM
After coming out of the theatre, trying to soak up all that I saw, it dawned on me that the recurring theme in most of Spike Lee's movies is how Black people eventually lose their minds in the white man's scheme of things. For example, in Do The Right Thing, Mookie is just fed up with working for Sal and the foolish death of Radio Raheem and just goes off and throws the garbage can. In Clockers, money's brother just flipped out and killed somebody, because he was mentally exhausted with conforming to White standards. He Got Game, Lee illustrates the frustation and pressure and young black man with basketball talent gets pressured into conforming into the success model. Dealing with agents, girlfriends who see their ship come in, and relatives waiting to mooch.

Clearly, Spike has a keen eye in defining how Black people, particularly males, have to constantly prove their worth to themselves and the white social structure. We go to great lengths to demonstrate our manhood, by juggling women,(Mo Betta Blues), fitting into fraternities and sororities to gather a better position in society (School Daze), get caught up in the dreams of stardom just to be let down (Girl 6) or just getting caught up in the game (Clockers, New Jersey Drive).

We are well aware that Spike doesn't go for the cookie cut ending that we are accustomed to. Like it or not, he does set it up in a way that illustrates the mentacide (mental suicide) Black people in America, and the African Diaspora, fall into.

"You real fucked up in the game now" - Big Black Africa