Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Reachin and Searchin'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20613&mesg_id=20623
20623, RE: Reachin and Searchin'
Posted by misteranonymity, Thu Oct-19-00 09:49 AM
The point that I brought up about Spike directing "Kings" and "Bamboozled" wasn't necessarily to accuse him of being contradictory or search for any of his character flaws. It also wasn't to accuse any of the stars of the Kings of Comedy of being buffoons. As a film scholar, my point was basically to detect any phenomena that may exist between the release between these films, the stars of these films, and the format that these films are shot on.

Although I have yet to see the movie since it hasn't come to my city, I've seen interviews with Spike in the past couple of weeks, and he mentioned that he wanted to express how this is a history that dates back to the early years of cinema and entertainment in general, which is what I predict what the whole film will be about (although those who've seen the film may not agree). I have no problem with brothers and sisters making films about minstrels, or getting paid by making people laugh. But there is always a questionable cycle that always arises in Black entertainment that sometimes the performers don't know of. I'm not saying that by making Bamboozled and The Kings of Comedy that Spike is part of that cycle, but he is bringing it to our attention. It's not that consists of calling out anyone or pointing the finger at anybody, but it's something that has to at least be brought to the table.