Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectFor a majority of the film, in a negative way, I found it to be
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=109778&mesg_id=109835
109835, For a majority of the film, in a negative way, I found it to be
Posted by Sponge, Mon Jun-20-11 10:27 PM
aesthetically overwhelming. Sensory overload. Near-constant music (plus, it's music I'm not into). Near-constant camera movement that's exacerbated by the frequently used really, really wide angle lenses (don't like wide angle lenses all that much). It's equally as overwhelming as a Tony Scott or Michael Bay film. Maybe I got used to it as time went on, but it seems like the foot eased off the gas pedal for the last 45-20 minutes.

But, you know what, I'd be awesome to have a career like Malick in which you only directed 4 feature-length films since the 1970s and to have a film like this that has unconventional dramaturgy / storytelling, a film this personal and ambitious playing in multiplexes across the nation.

Kudos to Brad Pitt for producing a project like this. Too bad he didn't believe in The Assassination of Jesse James as much.

Anyway, I'm not going to pretend that I got everything. This seems to be like Mirror, Inland Empire, etc. in which you'll catch more on repeated viewings. The problem for me is I don't care enough about the film to want to watch it again to understand more....or to hopefully absorb it and let it simmer in me.

I really do love the Nat Geo segments of the film. Honestly, I do. I always wanted to see that kind of science-spiritual thing treated contemplatively. But this didn't grab me. I really wanted to like it more than I do. Moreover, grief and childhood are 2 of my favorite subjects.

Can't wait to see Jessica Chastain in Take Shelter.