Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSo I finally saw it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107547
107547, So I finally saw it
Posted by Beamer6178, Mon Apr-01-13 01:46 PM
It was cool. Not groundbreaking by any stretch, but moved well. Pretty good dialogue and the use of "nigger" didn't even stand out to me. For once, he picked a movie where it wasn't out of place. Acting was solid.

The plot was some convoluted bullshit, Tarantino's explanation in that article in no way makes it better. Schultz is OFTEN not the one in control. As slavery is still legal during the time of the film, he has to rely on the "restraint" of people to not shoot him for merely associating with this "nigger" who is riding a horse and fighting/killing white men. FOH.

The last scene should have been in the parlor room. The same dude who drops a lantern and blasts two dudes away in the beginning, and slips a gun from his sleeve to blast Candie, all of a sudden goes into slow motion so the triggerman can blast him? DUMB. All drawn out so that Django can get his final revenge. No fucking way they allow his ass to live to be sold to another plantation or Broomhilda to be alive.

These are some of the most restrained nigger-hating white folk EVER.

The music was also fucked up. It did NOT flow well with me, for certain music to be played in particular scenes, it took away from whatever seriousness was to be feigned and made it look like clowning.
This shit was a WESTERN, NOT a slavery period piece.

No need to keep going in, there was some other stupid shit but overall, it was entertaining. But NO DEEPER THAN THAT. Any who say it is, I'm tempted to look up your comments on other movies, but I ain't got time for all that.

Gonna peep that Jessie Williams article too.