Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectDJANGO drug a coffin behind him into a bar, and fucked the bar up
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107457
107457, DJANGO drug a coffin behind him into a bar, and fucked the bar up
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jan-02-13 01:53 AM
there's a little more to it than that, but essentially, that was Django.

The Django character was also used in a variety of "sequels" that had nothing to do with the original Django movie (though Nero was in at least one, I'm pretty sure). I've only seen the original Django...it didn't impress me much, but I want to see it again now. It's been taken off Netflix Instant though.

these were the notes I took to myself after I saw it last May, gave it 3/5 (oh yeah, there is a scene that QT used for Reservoir Dogs, I forgot about that). They're shitty notes but they confirm what I thought, that there's really nothing similar and QT's in the lineage of fake sequels.

The acting is poor and the plot is even worse. But the costume design (besides Django himself, strangely enough) and especially set design is top notch. The muddy, derelict setting is perfect for such a grimly dark Western. The problem is everything about this movie sucks besides the ideas behind it and the style with which those ideas are attempted to be pulled off. But overall it reminds me of a comedy I watched recently, Derrick Comedy's Mystery Team. Like that film, Django takes chances with the definitive tropes of the genre and stands out stylistically from its peers. But it also fails to feel like more than a 30 minute episode of a television show stretched into an hour and half long feature.

EDIT: PARAGRAPHS BELOW ARE SPOILER-RIDDEN.

And when Django shoots up all of Nathaniel's stock behind the bar with his gatling gun for the Mexicans it's just confusing because first of all he's making such good friends with the Mexicans for no apparent reason and two it's just a huge dick move. And Nero's voice (or voiceover actor, I'm really not sure how these Spaghetti westerns work I just know they're always dubbed) is just like Eastwood's which makes the comparisons to A Fistful of Dollars both too easy and too disappointing. It's kind of right what some others have said, Django seems like the Western equivalent of a blaxploitation film, without any of the witty dialog or self-knowing nods to the audience or the times.

Also, to anyone criticizing Tarantino over "stealing" the ear slicing scene: fine, since he copped to it. But I fail to see how you can steal dismemberment from someone, or how Django's scene relates in any way emotionally or stylistically to what Tarantino, Madsen and Kirk Baltz achieved.

However, while disorienting I do really like the bar fight scene and I like Django's choice in women; I'll always go for tan brunettes over pale blondes and I don't get the hype behind the other girl really.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz