Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectwasn't blown away, had a good time, no racial lines in the theater
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107433
107433, wasn't blown away, had a good time, no racial lines in the theater
Posted by Nodima, Thu Dec-27-12 11:17 PM
Read about a third of the way down this page and I'm sort of stunned at how many of you are experiencing all these 100% definitive "white people laugh like this, black people laugh like this" moments. The South Park example was the real stunner. That entire movie is balls out hilarious, including the "faggot" line. Not much more to say on that other than when I was in the theater for this movie it was a 50/50 audience. One black couple walked out after Django blew QT up with the dynamite, everyone else stayed. Laughter came from all the same parts, other than one scene:

When Foxx is hanging upside down and you get that opening shot from above with his balls all bulging, a black woman in the front row said very audibly "oh Lord..." and about half the audience busted out laughing including the group she was with.

I don't really recall the specific laughs in this movie, other than when white sister lady got said goodbye to and then was yanked into the other room. Dude lying on the floor getting shot over and over had the crowd rolling too. A lot of the laughs from the trailer, ie. "I like the way you die" and "now you have my attention" got ZERO laughs in the theater. Jaime's blue suit got big laughs.

OH WAIT. One post down, I should've known...professional reminded me, that KKK scene with Jonah Hill and Don Johnson got laugh after laugh after laugh. Whole theater was ROLLING at all of that shit.

My biggest gripe with the movie and the first thing I started saying to my sister when we walked out was that the soundtrack was used really poorly. The edits were abrupt and awful, some of the songs really pulled me out of the experience (Rick Ross and Tupac particularly) and overall just didn't feel like they fit. In fact the editing in general felt REAL sloppy for a Tarantino movie, I got jarred more than few times (that setting the table scene came at me out of nowhere especially).

That said, I had a really good time, and at times a really awful one (in the right ways). The Mandingo fight killed me, as did the flashback scenes of Django and Hildy together with Django fighting for the beauty of her back. The hotbox scene just made me feel scummy. But I smiled like shit when they were talking in German and then Django finally reveals himself (though Kerry's fainting was a lil' weak). Leo was a real charming slave trader, the way he fucked with the third muskateer was just...ugh. The only time he faultered for me was when he blew up on them two after learning what they were really after. The amount of rage he had seemed a little insane for me.

I really liked the movie, but I dig Tarantino's style. With the length, random complaints in just about every scene and so on, I can't say it's better than his worst film at best. And I'm bummed about that because I really wanted to love it. But I walked away from the theater thinking it's a movie that seems better suited for home viewing. I'd really like to see it again, but I don't go to theaters much anyways so it certainly won't be there. I'd recommend anyone I know to see this thing but it wasn't the epic I expected. All the acting was superb, I thought the script was great...Tarantino got in his own way on this one. But there's a pretty fun, sometimes horrifying movie in there, and I'm glad it exists.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz