Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectit was entertaining...typical tarantino. i don't understand oscar talk tho
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107404
107404, it was entertaining...typical tarantino. i don't understand oscar talk tho
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Dec-27-12 10:14 AM
As I mentioned previously, QT has a sincerity problem. He simply cannot make a real story about real people and real circumstances and real consequence. The closest he ever came was Jackie Brown and it disappointed at every level and he simply stopped trying. He took his ball and went home. He hides behind surrealist violence and cool dialogue. I’d have no problem with any of this if it wasn’t EVERY MOVIE HE MAKES. Ridiculous hitmen, blond ninjas, wacky-font-lazy, plot-advancing-text, etc. It's in ALL his films. Anything that let's us know that this isn't REAL.

For all of you dude’s cheers and cysages about virulent F-U’s to The South, this movie was winking at us the entire time. So, like its Git-Dem-Nazis predecessor, it’s a CARTOON. You cysed off a cartoon, dogg. You felt some twinge of racial pride watchin Da Jango git-dem-slavers? Um, why? It’s just Jaime Foxx.

I’m actually stunned that Kerry Washington’s performance isn’t being called what it really is: Completely and utterly out of place, wasted and better-suited for a better movie. She let herself get whipped? For this? Aight then. She played it straight, like she was in a big screen adaptation of The Known World. I felt sorry for her. She did ALL THAT…for a Cartoon. You don’t turn in THAT performance for THIS, with its 16oz squibs and villain-face quick-zooms. But, Kerry's a pretty black girl...she don't really have a sense of humor. Because if she did have a sense of it, she'd have saved all that. Oh, I know, I know, she had to bring it to make us care about the story...she was the emotional center of the film. Riiiiiight...like Olive Oyl? Uh huh.

When are black folks gonna stop falling for the white politician who kisses the black baby? Bammas was in there yelling at the screen, chests heaving wit dat pride. FOR WHAT?!?!? QT did you a FAVOR? Some of OUR *real* story been told? That's hankyhead okey doke thinking. I'm a 'cism sophisticate. Ain't got time for it.

Lastly, a word about Night Dogg. You know why he fails miserably sometimes? Because he’s earnest. Every. Single. Time. Sincerity can easily be ridiculed. Should he have made a REAL attempt to tell the story of killer-trees? Eh, prolly not. But, He TRIED.

You cannot say the same for QT. But, that’s what “cool” is. It's a 24/7 commitment to dictating how you will be judged. And somehow QT has convinced the masses that if you don't get HIM, you are not cool. If you rip his films, people will look at you like you're crazy and say something like "But, if wasn't SUPPOSED to be THAT. It was supposed to be entertaining. Were you entertained?"

I'm entertained by Weird Al, Larry The Cable Guy, Sinbad, 90s R&B, Patti Labelle's cooking show with that theme song that just went "PATTI LABELLE! PATTI LABELLE! PATTI LABELLE!", any karate movie from a corner store in Chinatown, watching kids fall...just a LOT of stuff. Do I judge those things based on artistic merit? nope.

Anyway...it was entertaining. Everything about a QT film, especially the debates, is entertaining.