Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI thought it was great
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107395
107395, I thought it was great
Posted by BigWorm, Wed Dec-26-12 06:59 PM
I agreed with almost everything Zootown said.

Yes my gripe with the movie was that there were indeed--especially in the first forty minutes or so--moments that polarized the audience, in the sense that many people were laughing while other people] were really quiet. It was unsettling, but oh well.

I disagree with Longo--I think this is BY FAR the finest performance I've seen from DiCaprio. I would say he is almost a shoe-in for a best supporting actor nomination. He put his all into that role. Unlike every other role I've seen him in--except MAYBE What's Eating Gilbert Grape--he disappeared in the role. I wasn't particularly impressed with his performance in The Aviator or The Departed, but he shined in this one.

I think Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson were terrific too. I would say both--especially Jackson--would be up for nominations, but I could imagine them getting snubbed. Leo getting snubbed for this would be criminal.

I think Jamie Fox was great in the role, and I'm glad he got it over Will Smith. I'm not even a Jamie Fox fan. I was wondering who I'd rather see in the role...if I had my say, I'd put Michael K. Williams in it (and I wonder what part Tarantino had for him), but really Fox did a good job.

I do agree with Longo that Tarantino should never act in any movie ever again. Not his own and not anyone else's. He might actually be the worst actor in Hollywood. Like, his one scene was embarrassingly bad.

Okay, the one other set back was the music. Some of the hip-hop was jarring, and took me out of the western vibe.

Overall, I think this was a good flick. I might even put it above Inglorious Basterds. It was definitely more satisfying.