Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWrong man for the job. Wrong everything else....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=102347&mesg_id=102386
102386, Wrong man for the job. Wrong everything else....
Posted by da_illest_one, Thu Jul-01-10 03:35 PM
Here's my theories why this film was a disaster from the beginning and why it will tank in theaters:

1. He's (M. Night Shymalan) not an action choreographer nor does he have experience in successfully directing & scripting his own action adventure film. Why was is chosen for this after the "Happening" tanked is a mystery to me.

2. The writing was bad, M. Night's name is attached to it so it makes him look like a failure but its only so much a director can do to change the script to gage emphasis on particular characters and story pacing.

3. In conjunction to #2, the script probably looked good on paper but failed to transfer to live action convincingly. Its an anime cartoon with bright colors and Eastern like comedy. To transfer this into a realistic setting some things have to be moderated or ommitted all together. The film is dark with dull colors dominating the post-apocalyptic landscape which is in contrast to the animated series. I heard the comedy aspect was bare if not scrapped all together. I think the film's pacing was flawed by the time spent on the convoluted origin of the Last Airbender/Avatar and the other Fire, Water and Earth Nations.

4. The acting by the main protagonist was portrayed by a twelve year old martial artist who doesn't have any acting credits. He won the role by Producers and M. Night being impressed by his skills on an audition tape. However, the film's plot consisted of a TON of dialogue that the kid could not deliver.

5. The cast is predominently European in a film that based in Asia. This may offen a few people just like Prince of Persia which flopped hard last month (only $65 mil). Hollywood still has a problem with anyone who is not Caucasian being humanity's last hope for peace/salvation.

6. A 2D film with 3D rendering layered afterwards. I don't know if filming started before James Cameron's Avatar hit screens but it shouldn't be 3D just to jump on the bandwagon. 3D films should be shot in 3D, pure and simple. If audiences feel they are being cheated the film will flop just like Clash Of The Titans.

7. It's a T.V. series adaptation. People really are hungry for something new. With A-Team, Knight and Day and Losers and other adaptations clustering the summer season people are tired of showing up to theaters to only see the same material reiterated in live action and with a price of admission.