Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectFrom the article I linked to above
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=94996&mesg_id=95079
95079, From the article I linked to above
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Jan-23-07 10:51 AM
(for my eagle-eyed critics, no, this "really doesn't prove anything," but it does present a little bit of factual information as to what was going on with his nominations)

>Confusion reigns over the candidacy of DiCaprio, who was submitted to the SAG awards by Warner Bros. in the supporting category for "The Departed" and in lead for "Blood Diamond." Now support for his role in "Blood Diamond" has waned and many believe he can win the lead-acting prize if voters promote him to the top race at the Oscars for "Departed," the frontrunner for best picture.

The academy doesn't have an eligibility committee like the Golden Globes, which placed DiCaprio in lead for both "Departed" and "Blood Diamond," thus contributing to the star's category confusion. At the Oscars, voters can put an actor in either race and usually look for guidance from the "For Your Consideration" ads run by the studios. Unlike the Globes, actors may only be nominated once per Oscar category.

"Voters are confused by his campaign, or lack of it, over being specific," says Hammond.