Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBreathtaking performances, excellent script, and a striking score
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60750&mesg_id=60938
60938, Breathtaking performances, excellent script, and a striking score
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu May-08-08 08:46 PM
I really really enjoyed it. The most intriguing scenes imo(outside of the ending, which is such a great scene) were those which involved Plainview showing some cracks in his demeanor and focus....two moments that really stick out were the scene at the church(I abandoned my boy...you could feel the genuine emotion) and when he saw that picture in his brother's diary.

The score was so unique and completely captured the somewhat uncomfortable feel of the movie. The cinematography was spectacular and that scene with the burning oil thingie, beautiful. However, the performances made the movie, and not only were the interactions great, but it was so interesting to see how all those actions and relationships culminated in him becoming the person he was at the end.

I'm still sitting here amazed at how flawlessly Daniel Day-Lewis channeled Daniel Plainview. Possibly the best performance I have ever witnessed.