Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWas I The Only One That Thought Terrence Malick Rather Than Kubrick?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60750&mesg_id=60910
60910, Was I The Only One That Thought Terrence Malick Rather Than Kubrick?
Posted by Bombastic, Sun Jan-20-08 06:22 AM
I don't know, the lanscape cinematography and starkness/silence/'natural'ness(forgive me for that term, it's 3 AM) reminded me of Days Of Heaven especially but Badlands as well.

As for the movie, I gotta say I was slightly dissapointed. Finally saw it tonight, love everyone involved and couldn't help but have sky-high expectations due to the players and the reviews.

My boy I came with didn't like it at all but got a kick out of some of the lines/hammy acting bits.

I liked it to some degree and thought Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano were both great......but I can really see what people will say about there not being much of a story and I really wouldn't recommend this to most people I interact with on a day-to-day basis although I definitely have a few friends that would enjoy it.

Me? I could watch it again. It drags in parts, there's definitely some points were its mannered in its approach.....but there's enough things in it that interested me that I'd like to give it a second viewing and see what works differently for me.

And to all the people who mentioned the score's need to create Hitchcockesque tension when nothing was really coming, I'd agree.