Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI really don't understand this.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60750&mesg_id=60867
60867, I really don't understand this.
Posted by Quick, Mon Jan-14-08 07:59 PM
Not your not liking the movie, you give valid reasons and even if I didn't think so, of course you're entitled.

What I don't get is why you're trying to interpret everyone else's reading or enjoyment of it. And that the only things it's leading to is cynicism and anti-Americanism. Not that I don't agree that those readings exists, but certainly not everyone falls into those camps. Nor the one where people pump it up because they think they should, which I think happens a lot.

I'm sure you know people who had those experiences, but I don't think we're all as gullible or nihilistic as that. Personally, I only knew that it was based on U. Sinclair's book and I appreciate his writing. I had also just come off seeing Michael Clayton and wanted the next movie to be in a similar vein. (That's probably not helping my argument, but I admit I like these kinds of movies. Although I'm not cynical.) But I can't say that's why it's a popular film.