Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI was skeptical but this movie managed to live up to the hype
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60750&mesg_id=60830
60830, I was skeptical but this movie managed to live up to the hype
Posted by jigga, Wed Jan-09-08 06:30 PM

I was skeptical because I wasnt sure how interested I'd be in the oil aspect but it ended up being very intriuging. It took awhile for the score to grow on me but once it did it all started to make sense. I see what Jonny was goin for. I just recently started listening to Radiohead & it takes awhile for some of there songs to grow on me. But I've noticed on 2 occasions that there songs have fit perfectly in A Scanner Darkly & L'Auberge espagnole. I thought it was a nice touch how the same music is used at the begining of the movie when Plainview is hacking away with the pick & then again later on when he's using the pick to outline the grave. It was at this moment that it all clicked for me

This was my 1st time watching DDL on the big screen & lemme tell ya...I see it now. I remember hearing about how great he was in Gangs of New York. But my past petty Leo hate, valid Diaz hate, & sick of Scorsese violence stance has only allowed me to watch just a few scenes here & there. Obviously now I need to go back & watch the whole thing just to see DDL do his thing. Watching him in TWBB reminded me of watching Bobby D back in his heyday. So utterly convincing you forget you're watching a movie. I imagine any of the other actors that WERE in the best supporting actor race that go see this movie will throw their hands in the air at some point with frustration & say, "Maaaaaaan fuck it! Lemme take my L & get the hell outta here" Hopefully they'll finish the flick 1st tho.

As great as his performance was, I gotta give Paul Dano tons of credit for being able to keep up with him. He's no slouch here & neither is Dillon Freasier. I wish Ciarán Hinds was given a better chance to shine but the performances from the main 3 actors here is top notch & right up there along with the main 3 performances in what might be what I'll have to consider the 2nd best movie of 2007 now. And that's the trio of Casey Affleck, Brad Pitt & Sam Rockwell in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

I'm glad I gotta chance to see The Treasure of Sierra Madre on TCM a few weeks ago. I remember reading the article on how PTA would fall asleep to it & it certainly gave me a good perspective on what he was trying to accomplish in making this. Ironically enough, when I left the theater & put on my ipod to walk to my car, the 1st song that came on the shuffle was Sad Millionaire by the Luniz.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW*

Was HW really his son or not? The Paul & Eli stuff was a bit confusing as well. Was it a split personality or was there really a twin?