Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectalso, in regards of batman's character as a whole"
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60104&mesg_id=60302
60302, also, in regards of batman's character as a whole"
Posted by gluvnast, Tue Aug-12-08 05:30 PM

>I have a ton of complaints about this movie but my main ones
>regard the Batman character itself. When I think Batman I
>think great detective, genius with gadgets, and skilled
>fighter. We didn't really get any of those things here.
>Maybe that's because the character itself was an after
>thought.
>

this is the ONLY batman film to my knowledge that batman USES his detective skills....i mean the whole fractured bullet thing just to find fingerprints alone pretty much destroys this arguement of not being a genuis with gadgets while using detective work at the sametime

or how they figured out about mr. reese's attacker which is PURELY detective work at play....or even his judgement on the ferry's and the twist about the hostages posing as joker's men....

and lets not even talk about gadgets...the difference is that nolan never tries to EXPLOIT these things over telling a story...but from the old suit having hydrolics to bend a gun barrel or stop a moving van to the gun that shoots out EMP devices to kill off the electricity in a building to the fuckin' SONAR shit at the end...the GADGETS were there...even how he escaped lao's building from hong kong was a neat trick...

if you want to nitpick, fine...but to say things that blatantly you were either not paying attention or just want to hate for the sake of hating then you need to find better arguements than this...

one more thing, had you not think this is part of batman's evolution? in the beginning, batman thought his purpose would be symbolic and he so-calls "has no limits"...he realizes that his followers don't exactly understand whut his true purpose suppose to be as well as them being a distraction....he also thought that all criminals have a purpose or a need to do crime, until he meets the joker who has no purpose or need..he just does it for the hell of it. and with that, the joker's character is whut brings out the true essence of whut batman is because they both fits a ying & yang...an on-going debate with real consequences involved which is something that the joker elaborated to batman towards the end of the movie...to paraphrase him, "we could go on like this forever"...

it's the LAST monologue by gordon is whut defines whut batman that we know in the comic will eventually be which is a "dark knight" or a protector or guardian of gotham, which is EXACTLY whut batman is today

i mean, i could go on and on with examples about charactization...but, basically, if you feel the fighting wasn't to your liking...that's your taste and preference in fight scenes..but i see no huge problem with it being that in the comics, batman was always quick and to the point, nothing flashy...and that's exactly how they are in this film...quick & to the point, nothing fancy...examples being the hong kong break-in, the club scene, and fighting the SWAT team using sonar...but if you can into this movie EXPECTING some eye-popping fight sequences, then hey...hate this movie

the movie's more psycological drama vs. physical action