Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: that's one of the reasons i love the movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=60104&mesg_id=60255
60255, RE: that's one of the reasons i love the movie
Posted by gluvnast, Sat Aug-09-08 10:28 PM

>
>sometimes part of being a hero means not looking or acting
>like one. sometimes tricksters/mischievous types can be
>heroes. that kinda thing.

i maybe have this confused, but are you saying that's why you DON'T like this movie? or are you just stating that defines a hero, because if it's the latter, then the whole point as to why he's called the dark knight pretty much based on the that fact he's not the hero people WANT, but he's the hero that they NEED. gordon's final monologue basically was echoing whut alfred consoled to bruce right after rachel's death, just before he was about to give him that letter, but changed his mind (which foreshadowed another aspect to the finale)

>
>it's not the the exploration of what heroism is that bothered
>me-- i guess it's how the questions were resolved (or moved
>towards resolution)...and on what grounds.
>

like i said, i can't argue on the moral or immoral actions of batman & gordon, but it's one of those reasons why i enjoy this movie so much, because they were pretty much forced into making a decision in where EITHER WAY it's a difficult choice....

which reminds me about how interesting the two-face character is, albeit brief and as long as the movie already is, i hunger for more of this character....two-face broke the matter of "choice" down to the bare essentials and that's by flipping the coin. and i alot of way, that's basically whut batman or gordon and even the joker was doing...making a coin flip. the ferry situation was a PERFECT example of batman making a choice of trusting the people vs. the joker faith that the people would fold and do whut he predicted they would do. the truth of the matter is both of them were technically RIGHT and wrong at the sametime, because the people VOTED in favor of the joker, but noone had the heart to do it themselves.

basically there's NO simple answers, and batman made a BOLD, immoral decision to use the sonar-telecommunication system to the dismay of fox (which should of confort you, at least, that one of the very things that disturbed you they made it a POINT that this was an immoral act), but in a situation in which the entire city is in danger and because of the fact throughout the ENTIRE movie batman always been one step too short and the joker one step ahead...he knew he HAD to overstep his boundries...regardless of how unethical the decision maybe

>also. it kind of annoyed me that there wasn't a stronger
>development that answered the joker's assertion that he and
>batman were the same.
>

i doubt that...i think they should their yin to the yang connection very strongly. the truth is that batman was in denial and probably still was in denial by the end of the movie, however he eventually cosigned to the joker's belief on how mankind cannot be trusted, because had batman had REAL faith towards the people of gotham, then he would of allowed gordonto tell the truth about dent, instead of unknowingly siding with the joker on how much of a chaotic tragedy it could be if they ever FOUND out about dent. i think they handled this very well, because the more interested the joker was on batman, the more he doesn't want to kill him, doesn't want anybody to expose his identity, and the more he pushes his anarchist debate with him...that was basically whut the ferry incident was about...a theological debate with physical danger involved to make a point

>
>not disgusted enough to act. he was willing to quit, but
>didn't. i thought that was wishy-washy.
>
>i would have liked a movie where morgan freeman turned around
>and lectured batman about the power of choice and the
>importance of community-- and what that means for people who
>have been given power. for starters, in theory, people in
>power have to observe the laws of the community. he could've
>thrown in a side comment about the nature of "madmen" (maybe
>making the point that they don't observe laws of community and
>society).
>
>there's also a really unsatisfactory exploration about
>technology and ethics in that scene.
>
>

i understand where you are geting at because it's SO closely related to the PATRIOT ACT and the recent FISA bill that has pass. i can even agree that's one of the most controversial scenes in the movie, but at the sametime, even OBAMA pretty much done the samething for voting on the FISA because, not because he wholeheartedly SUPPORTS it, but because he believes that our national security STILL our top priority and there are things within the bill that helps secure our national security....the movie is heavily based on real life examples in a post 9/11 world that we live in....there's never a "right" or "wrong" choice.

the one thing that you need to acknowledge is the fact that batman, unlike our president's administration, did not ABUSE this illegal power that he had, and kept his promise of destroying this system once the joker shit got resolved...

like i said, i respect your opinion, at least you had a reasonable objection...