Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAlright fine. I'll be THAT dude.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=58793&mesg_id=58820
58820, Alright fine. I'll be THAT dude.
Posted by jadedeejay, Fri Dec-07-07 09:00 AM
Brian Michael Bendis.

There, I said it.

Powers: Still a better read to me than anything that comes out the same week not named All-Star Superman or Astonishing X-Men.

Ultimate Spider-Man: Now that Bendis actually has a half decent artist in the form of Stuart Immonen, this is BY FAR the best Spidey book on the stands. Not to mention the best Ultimate title. It MIGHT be able to maintain that claim even with the influx of new talent scheduled to take over on the other Spidey books in a few months. It's THAT good.

Avengers Illuminati: One of the better retcons of Marvel history I've read in recent years. This mini kicked all kinds of ass and set up TONS of potential future storylines involving these characters. I'm in.

Mighty Avengers: This was well on it's way to being the best monthly Marvel title on the stands IMO prior to Frank Cho falling behind on his deadlines and fuckin up the momentum. Oh well..... Props to Bendis for givng this book a completely different feel from its New Avengers counterpart.

New Avengers: The best monthly ongoing that Marvel currently puts out.

Better than Cap.

Better than Daredevil.

Better than Iron Fist.

Not MUCH better. Just better.

I like Bendis' characterizations of the Avengers. I like his team-member choices (Hey, I'll be the first to admit that the idea of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Spider Woman, and Dr. Strange on a team doesn't necessarily look good on paper, but somehow Bendis makes it work).

Oh, and BTW, I'm not even KINDA mad at the way this whole Skrull storyline is unfolding. Admittedly, it potentially could end up sucking. But I've thoroughly enjoyed what I've read so far.

I know Bru gets a lotta love around these parts (from me included), and it's actually a REEEALLY close call. I fucks with Brubaker somethin serious. But when I do a title by title camparison. Bendis edges Bru out almost every time.

Powers - 5 Cap - 5

New Avengers - 5 Daredevil - 4.5

USM - 5 Iron Fist - 4.5

Mighty Avengers - 4 X-Men - 3

Bendis. Best Writer of 2007. That is all.

"Fuck the streets!"

-?uestlove

www.myspace.com/djjedi1