Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: pagoda was a racist character
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=26940&mesg_id=26980
26980, RE: pagoda was a racist character
Posted by UncleClimax, Tue Mar-22-05 08:20 PM
>i got into an argument with one of my friendsover this. He
>claimed that pagoda was funny because he was *pagoda*. I said
>i thought pagoda was a racist character because the humor is
>derived from the fact that he is indian, he is foregin, and in
>a lot of movies foreign= funny. he is also royal's silent
>indian servant. blatant. but the movie itself was not racist

im sorry..but i have to say that foreign = funny is something thats been taken for granted for a long long time. and i dont think its wrong, because its funny. old people are funny, little kids are cute and funny, animals are funny..these are just standards...does it smack of racism and xenophobia? maybe, but i dont think it has to, and to exploit these situations or archetypes for comedic effect is hardly racist, imo.

to me, being racist is being racist. its like a year or two ago people kept getting upset by the "big black guy that's surprispingly intelligent and well-spoken" type that kept showing up in comedies claiming its racist. well maybe it was in certain cases, but i think people should be upset by the laziness and recycling of the type, in terms of artistic invention or lack thereof, more than by any racist statement being made.

so the lock n loll isnt bad because its racist...it isnt...its bad because its played and not funny.