Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecta dope movie
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=19883&mesg_id=19909
19909, a dope movie
Posted by taygravy, Mon Apr-09-01 07:19 AM
no pun intended
(spoiler)
Whoever above said that it was a straight rip of Goodfellas was right. Everything from the narrative style, to the way they started at the end and then came full circle. But hell, if you're gonna bite, might as well bite a classic.

I read that Paul Reubens' character is a composite of a lot of different characters because George Jung's REAL west coast connection is still on the run and didn't want his real name used in the flick.

Overall a very good flick. Not as didactic as "Traffic," it had a real human touch to it. Especially the part at the end before George gets caught and he goes to tell his pops that he's not gonna turn himself in. You can just see the way George's lifestyle has caused his father to worry about him and age faster. That shit was really emotional.

And at the end of the flick when they showed the real George Jung. Damn!!! That nigga looked bad. What I didn't understand though, is how he lost all his money at the bank. Did the government put a freeze on his assets or something?

....and in case you forgot, ALBUMS YOU NEED TO OWN:
1.Yahzarah- "Hear Me"
Debut album from one of Erykah Badu's bag ladies.
With beats by Eccentric and guest appearances by The Honorable T. Gravious.
Seekers of truth music....YOUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!!
Coming March 2001 on KEO Music Recordings

2.Phonte-"Goddamn Paper In My Pocket"
Coming August 2001 on KEO Music Recordings....you BITCHES!!!
Featuring appearances by TJ Swan, Suga Free, Pimpin Ken, Bishop Don Magic Juan, and a remake of "The Real Slim Shady" featuring Whitefolks.

3.U.S.-"The Story of U.S."
The critically acclaimed and nationally renowned comedy CD
Rated @@@@1/2 by Viv Shocklee of the Jawn Squad and laughed at by Talib Kweli on Feb. 28 at around 12:52AM after his show in Carrboro (shameless plug...no, HOPELESS is more like it)
Available on Napster or for the low, low price of $10
Send mail order info to taygravy@hotmail.com