Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBut to be honest
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=18738&mesg_id=18743
18743, But to be honest
Posted by Nesta, Fri Aug-10-01 05:11 AM
I dont trust most music reviews. (1) How in the hell are you really gonna convey what an album is about in 200 words (2) Music critics get too cozy with artists sometime (3) Some critics have become institutions so they feel liek they can make or break someone and that shit takes on a life of its own and (4) Soem critics are just parts of label's hype machine. How else can you explain all the glowing reviews that Alicia Keys' booty album got. Clive Davis is the man and somehow he got everyoen to write how great an album that is when its really mediocre at best.

Frank: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had -- but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
Kramer: What happened to the doll?
Frank: It was destroyed. But out of that, a new holiday was born -- a Festivus for the rest of us!

In the spirit of Festivus, I will use this sorry board to occasionally air my own grievances. As Frank put it so eloquently in that immortal "Seinfeld" episode three Festivuses ago, "I got a lot of problems with you people! And now you're gonna hear about it!" I'll spare you folks the feats of strength.

"it is now the mission of myself and a million others to not just stop at downloading music. we will continue to download en masse, but we will physically steal cds if we have to. anything to make sure the record companies go out of business. burn and sell, give away free stuff in front of record stores. anything. they've pissed millions of americans off by spitting in their face. not only will i stop contributing any money i will make sure i steal it in different ways. down with corrupt businessmen." - some genius who goes by the name of mission

"Give it up Biggie is dead, Eminem is what you have" - Paraphrasing Sarah Jones in Surface Transit