Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectbegs a larger question tho... (kinda ranty)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116032&mesg_id=116088
116088, begs a larger question tho... (kinda ranty)
Posted by araQual, Fri Jan-03-14 12:19 AM
...does putting something up on film for the world to see automatically glorify it? even if it's the directors intent to do anything but? isn't just portraying this stuff a form of glorification? by turning this dickhead's life into an entertaining fillum?

example: pretty much all my friends, including me, unanimously loved and continue to love (and profusely quote) "American Psycho". that films intent was similar, to show how the life of a monster wearing the disguise of corporate America lives and thrives and gets away with all sortsa shenanigans, undoubtedly to highlight how fucked up it is. but man, we constantly quote him in relation to all of his twisted behaviour, we laugh immensely at him chopping up Paul Allan (whether actual or in Patrick's head), we sit in silent admiration of him baggin two hoes at once (thought not so much when the sharp objects come out). it was so ridiculous and well-acted that it was both a depiction and surreal HIGH comedy. there's many things to like and loathe about films like these, but the main Q still remains as to what kind of effect putting this kind of stuff out really has on the public, regardless of intent and interpretation. like, just the act of it BEING there might have the inverse reaction of celebritising the douche that the film is apparently trying to shit upon. happens all the time.

not tryin to slam either side of the argument, but i think it's worth touching upon. so much of this kind of back n forth is battled out within the context of "it's a film so i will judge it as only a film", when it's been shown throughout history how much influence films can have via overt and covert messages, mental and social conditioning, and the act of lulling a viewer into that kind of dreamstate in general. there's always more to a film than just the film (i recently re-watched "So I Married An Axe Murderer" and was hilariously surprised that i missed the rant about who owns the world, delivered by Mike Myers (playing his father) mentioning Rockefellers n Rothschilds by name, the kind of rant that a decade ago i wouldn't have thought twice about but now, much older and a little wiser, can see the truth in what he was sayin).

i'm not even sure there's room for this kinda debate on PTP, but i do approach this with an even tone and def not tryin to instigate anyone in this poast.

i'm making sense, right?

V.