Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti don't wanna start this argument
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33809&mesg_id=33884
33884, i don't wanna start this argument
Posted by LexM, Fri Jul-15-05 02:52 PM
god is everywhere, i agree.

however, the bible is one book written in several different forms several thousand years ago by god-knows-how-many people.

what we consider "the bible" today is only a fraction of what it was before a (largely) european power struggle determined what was & wasn't "holy" enough to make it in.

and a good bit of *that* was forged to make the pieces fit.

i won't even talk about what women have had to endure due to this belief system.

is there truth in it? of course. but no one has a monopoly on truth.

spirituality--and god, imo--is about growth & expansion. not dogma & domination. again, if it works for you, more power. there are many paths, but only one universe.

if you wanna swing this back around to the topic at hand, blk ppl are beginning to realize that, on one end of the spectrum, they need a liberation theology. on the other end, there is a total rejection of christianity--which is not to say some kind of lawless heathenism. just other, more traditional ways of belief.

religion does not equal moral behavior.
atheism does not equal immorality.

the socioeconomic issues you're asking about are all much, much bigger than that.

~~~~
~*~musical revolution~*~

"The world was warned about this...The CIA calls what happened in London today "blowback." It is wrong, it is heinous, it is murder plain and simple, and it was as predictable as the sun rising in the East." ~Wm Rivers Pitt