Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCould it possibly be related to...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33809&mesg_id=33839
33839, Could it possibly be related to...
Posted by 14thLight, Thu Jul-14-05 01:30 PM
No Hispanic population having ever been enslaved in America? Could it be related to the fact that there has never been large scale instituional (legal or otherwise) racism levied against any Hispanic population? Could it be possiblly related to the fact that MOST hispanic families in America consist of no more than two generations of individuals born in this country?

Hispanic folk by and large are culturally close to their mother cultures (be it Honduran, Brasilian, Puerto Rock, or whatever). Family, as you know, is generally the cornerstone of a lot of Hispanic cultures. The sole purpose of immigration for many Hispanic folks is better oppurtunities for their families. Therefore, if you have first and second generation American Hispanics... there values are going to be extremely similiar to those of their mother culture. There cocnern with their families is going to be very similiar to that of their cultural norm. Furthermore... they have never experienced any insitituional atrocity on the part of Americans that resulted in disruptions of their family units. I hate to say it folk... but if you were to let more generations pass and throw in some insitutional atrocities levied against them... I gurantee you their "picture" wouldn't be too bright.

Hispanic folks don't have the Fd up family units that black folks do simply because they ahve not experienced the same things we have, nor have they been here the same amount of time.

"When I use the word 'love', I am not making an attempt at rhetoric. I am attempting to express a refulgent, unrestrained emanation from the most durable region of my soul..." -George Jackson "Soledad Brother"