Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: I understand all that
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33809&mesg_id=33831
33831, RE: I understand all that
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Jul-13-05 04:12 PM
>but what does it have to do with the point I made? My point
>is that poverty is not the cause of the breakdown of the
>family. Are you trying to add to that point, refute it, or
>what?

"The Black community is richer than it's ever been, yet our families are worse than ever."

The article I posted addresses your statement (above):

"But the net worth of black households compared to white households has remained stagnant. The net worth of blacks is just one-tenth that of whites."

and this:

"But significant problems remain, and some are worsening rapidly. Joblessness is stagnant for blacks at 10.8 percent, while unemployment dropped for whites to 4.7 percent. Health and life expectancy for blacks have improved. But blacks live only an average of 72 years to whites' 76 years. And obesity rates for blacks are growing rapidly. Blacks are three times more likely to become prisoners when they are arrested than are whites. The average jail sentence for blacks is six months more than whites get for the same crimes. The education level of blacks is 77 percent of whites. Blacks in public schools are twice as likely as whites to be taught by inexperienced teachers."

The article supports some of the things you posted and refutes others as it relates to being rich vs. wealth. The article, esp. the National Urban League's "State of Black America" report show a much larger picture as it relates to Black American communities today. I was pointing that out.