Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: As it stands now, this is how I see it, but!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33809&mesg_id=33825
33825, RE: As it stands now, this is how I see it, but!
Posted by sunngodd, Wed Jul-13-05 11:46 AM
>... but there are many players here who disagree...what do
>you think they see as a white role in the break down of the
>family? Thanks again for your participation.

For people that think it's the white mans fault, I would say you have three types.

First, you have the wackos that think there's a white supremacist conspiracy to annihilate the black community. Pay these people no attention.

Then you have the argument that slavery broke down the black famility structure. This is an interesting argument, but it isn't rooted in fact. If anyone subscribes to this argument, they should read this book: The Black Family in Slavery and Freedom, 1750-1925
by Herber G. Gutman http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0394724518/qid=1121272193/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_ur_1/002-2626709-6004815?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 This book clearly shows that the black family remained strong during slavery as well as it's aftermath. The black family has never been perfect, but it's present state is a fairly recent development.

Lastly, you have the people that say that economic factors (which can be traced back to slavery and discrimination) account for the breakdown of the family. Again, this argument isn't supported by the facts. The Black community is richer than it's ever been, yet our families are worse than ever. Black people earn roughly the same amount as Hispanics, yet 70% of black children are born out of wedlock, while this number is only 25-30% for hispanics.

--------------------------------------
"What shall we do with the negro?" I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us...if the negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall - Frederick Douglass