Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: may i ask,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33627&mesg_id=33734
33734, RE: may i ask,
Posted by invincilana, Thu Jan-31-08 01:52 AM
thanks for asking :)
here's an excerpt from the original call for boycott description:

"The Palestinian Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel was launched in Ramallah in April 2004 by a group of Palestinian academics and intellectuals to join the growing international boycott movement. The Campaign built on the Palestinian call for a comprehensive economic, cultural and academic boycott of Israel issued in August 2002 and a statement made by Palestinian academics and intellectuals in the occupied territories and in the Diaspora calling for a boycott of Israeli academic institutions in October 2003.

In July 2004, the Campaign issued a statement of principles, addressed to our colleagues in the international community urging them to comprehensively and consistently boycott all Israeli academic and cultural institutions until Israel withdraws from all the lands occupied in 1967, including East Jerusalem; removes all its colonies in those lands; agrees to United Nations resolutions relevant to the restitution of Palestinian refugees rights; and dismantles its system of apartheid. This statement was met with widespread support, and has to date been endorsed by nearly sixty Palestinian academic, cultural and other civil society federations, unions, and organizations, including the Federation of Unions of Palestinian Universities' Professors and Employees and the Palestinian NGO Network in the West Bank. The campaign has also established an advisory committee comprised of well-known public figures and intellectuals....

Boycotting Israeli academic and cultural institutions is an urgently needed form of pressure against Israel that can bring about its compliance with international law and the requirements for a just peace."

everyone knows Egypt's govt is no friend of the people of Gaza, but to say their participation in the displacement and destruction of Palestine is disproportionate to our govts (US and Israel) is an understatement.
much respect,
i