Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAnd of course Sharpeville and Shatila
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33627&mesg_id=33691
33691, And of course Sharpeville and Shatila
Posted by speaker, Sat Jan-26-08 06:06 AM
Are just the tip the iceberg in those two cases, as state violence directed against the indigenous population in both South Africa and Israel is a mountain next to the molehill of soldier and civilian casualties on the settler side. We agree on that. The vitriol in your response should be directed against people who defend these regimes, not people like me who agree with you that they should be opposed.

Re-reading your first response to me, I think you took my statement that the U.S. is no better as some kind of attempt to direct attention away from Israel (even though I said I "agree with everything" you said), but I was doing the opposite: saying we should SIMULTANEOUSLY be vigilant about all three cases of colonization, which are all still ongoing. If you're an activist in the U.S., your government is oppressing both Palestinians AND Black South Africans AND the indigenous population of the U.S. via the activities of private U.S. companies and federal and municipal policy. Our moral responsibility to resist oppression should include all of that.