Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThe Master Culture or canon
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33408&mesg_id=33620
33620, The Master Culture or canon
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Jun-09-06 01:01 PM
Education provides the body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field or art or philosophy. The ones in power set the rules.

>Imagine you are the only black child in a classroom filled
>with white children…

Then the parents of that Black child need to supplement that education, either themselves or through access to programs that offer the information. For me it was the library.

>Ok cool… remember how that felt? Now imagine from the
>perspective of a white child and how absolutely empowering
>that must have felt, and confusing. It sets a tone…

Indeed. Walking into a room full of wealthy, white people has a different effect if you are wealthy and white or poor and Black (or just Black). You have to change the preexisting assumption(s) and shift the balance in order to change the status quo.

Personally, I love the effort Tolkien put into creating the fictional world of Middle-earth. I loved reading LOTR and The Silmarillion. I loved reading Greek myth. I also loved reading African and Asian folklore and history. The goal was not only to master the canon but also learn about cultures closer to my own. King Kong was offensive to me and I lost interest.