Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI've been telling all my friends the LOTR series is racist as hell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=33408&mesg_id=33410
33410, I've been telling all my friends the LOTR series is racist as hell
Posted by , Fri Dec-16-05 03:05 PM
I started thinking about the topic last year. I had to write a paper in sociology and my paper was on the myth of the Jewish conspiracy and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and its contribution to the rise of radical right wing militia groups in the United States. One of the many things that I was shocked by while reading about these groups was amongst all the radical right wing literature like the Turner Diaries that these groups recomended was the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Here's my take on LOTR. You start off in a utopia dominated by wasp males. It is an all white Christian patriarchical society and pretty flowers gorw and all is dandy. Then the ring is introduced. The finger going through the ring very much resembles penetration, i.e. intercourse. This is representative of a loss of ground in the male power structure. The person who puts on the ring becomes a slave to it. The social suggestion is that the feminist movement is undermining a pre-ordained male dominance which is destroying the promised land. Women are out to make men their slaves and are not to be trusted, they should not be undermining their role as second class citizens and male property. Let's be honest, what does the eye above the castle look like? It looks like a big sinister vagina. We also see a dark army rise out of Mordor. Mordor sounds quite like mortar a mud like substance. What does these right wing militia groups call African Americans and Hispanics? Their term for them is the mud people and they believe these mud people are out to destroy them. This group of Christian white males are out to destroy the ring and battle to restore order in the world using their swords. Let's look at what the sword represents. The sword is a mighty phallic object. These warriors are using their manhood to restore order in this world turned upside down. Speaking of upside down, the sword upside down and you have a Christian cross. Who do they meet up with along the way? A two faced ugly little trickster named Smiegel. Smiegel obviously represents the people of Jewish decent, being that these right wing militia groups consider Jews two-faced swindlers. In the end, the white Christians defeat the dark army and destroy the ring. The sinister vagina watching over them and controlling their existence disappears from their castle. At the end of the film, order is restored in this Christian utopia with the men in charge and the women in a subordinate position. The two-faced Jew and the dark army are now out of the picture and all is well in their world. An interesting side note is that when Timothy McVeigh bombed the Oklohoma City federal building he was trying to start the white Christian revolution that is described in the Turner Diaries.
These right wing nutjobs believe that the Jews currently control the world and that African Americans and Hispanics are working for the Jews trying to undermine white Christianity. They believe that the revolution described in the Turner Diaries is a divine revolution and that God will grant them victory. They believe after this revolution the earth will exist for 1,000 years as a white Christian utopia with all those who are not white Christians will be wiped off the face of the earth and condemned to hell by God. To me, LOTR seems to be pretty allegorical of their belief structure and the revolution they believe will bring them to their promised land.