Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMy Two Cents...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=32999&mesg_id=33072
33072, My Two Cents...
Posted by PulpHustler, Thu Jun-02-05 05:10 PM
Another part of the chapter, which i may post later, actually discusses the role of black consumers and audiences in being accepting of a lot of the crap that the marketing world (and admittedly myself at times) have put out.

I use an old quote from Tony Brown which says, "The greatest boycott ever waged against black businesses has been done by black consumers."

One of the huge problems, which i propose is at least partially the result of institutionalized brainwashing that affects everyone of every hue is the idea that black businesses are inferior and when multidimensional images of people of color are presented, people of color don't always support them.

I get into all that stuff and i offer solutions. I'm not one of those folks who says: "They (white people) broke it and we is so weak dat we can't do nuthin' with out they (white people's) help/approval/permission." I simply believe in being honest about problems and saying, "look we can fix this provided that we're honest about how it got broken in the first place."

As for personal responsibility...

The one thing that i learned in my years in the marketing world is that as far as marketers are concerned, "personal responsibility" is for consumers only. Marketers take the approach of "we can do whatever it takes to convince you to buy something and put money in our pockets. We can lie, manipulate, withold facts, make dangerous products, engage in race-baiting, scare tactics, stereotypes, etc. All's fair in Love of money... But if you, the consumer buy into any of what we do, IT'S YOUR FAULT."

I've never been able to figure out how personal responsibility only applies to consumers and not marketers and manufacturers... but that's how it works.