Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Intellegent Hip Hop Content.... Well... Intellegence Period!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=32723&mesg_id=32728
32728, RE: Intellegent Hip Hop Content.... Well... Intellegence Period!!!
Posted by KSol, Tue May-31-05 03:27 PM
>I have noticed a trend. If a rapper is muslim, and speaks on
>islamic values in his songs... He is conscious. If a rapper
>is buddist, and speaks on buddist values in his music, he is
>conscious. If an ATHIEST speaks about life from a MORAL
>(moral atheis=oxymoron) standpoint in his music, he is
>conscious. If a CHRISTIAN speaks on christian
>topics/values/TRUTH,... he is... unintellegent?!
>Why?
>This problem is not limited to hip hop... I have observed that
>most of the world holds the same stance...
>Why?

*I must say, this is the longest-lived trend in history, ya know*

I believe it subconsciously rest on one statment from the bible:

John 14:6 - Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.

When people hear/read this, they immediately feel disdain... saved or unsaved. I say saved AS WELL because if you have received the Spirit of God then it will perpetually be in conflict with your flesh...

Galatians 5:17 - For the desires of the flesh are opposed to the Spirit, and the Spirit are opposed to the flesh (godless human nature); for these are antagonistic to each other , so that you are not free but are prevented from doing what you desire to do

The disdain or doubt must be starved to death by your faith.

But that's the context and basis of why people view Christian hip-hop as eccentric apart from other faith-based hip-hop... because in actuality, Jesus Christ was the only person of the major faiths who claimed to be God so He will stand out and be ridiculed for His claim, thus His followers (i.e. gospel MC's) will be titled as unintelligent/bigots/biased/supremist.

You either know Him as a liar, a lunatic or Lord... nothing more, nothing less. I know Him as Lord.