Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: iranian = aryan
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31965&mesg_id=31984
31984, RE: iranian = aryan
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Sun Dec-04-05 01:47 PM
>i've never identified iranian with black
>seriously

But Bartek is the only one accusing me of equate the two. All I argue is that all people of colour experience global class oppression from a predominantly white ruling class, albeit our particular experiences vary. Now, as a person of colour growing up in North America I think it is natural for non-black people to take an interest in black struggles to help them come to grips with their own struggles, simply because race politics and ideals are very much dominated by the black/white divide in America. Most of us have even adopted terms associated with black references towards whites mostly because that has itself become the standard form out counter-racism (for lack of a better word)that is integrated in the general culture is mostly informed by black struggles. I watch Spike Lee flicks, I listen to dead prez, one of my favorite shows growing up was a different world, I read Malcolm X and Angela Davis litterature. Is it any wonder, then, that when I experience racism, I act out in the language of counter-racism that saturates my brain the most?