Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWhite liberal bigotry
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31965&mesg_id=31965
31965, White liberal bigotry
Posted by Pinko_Panther, Sat Dec-03-05 08:20 AM
Okay, this post is inspired by an bizarre and disturbing exchange between me and Bartek in the lesson. In this thread on Little Brother's mixtape I made a snide remark at another OKP about how his behaviour reminded me of white women down south who would bring coloured people home and cry rape when caught. Anyhow, this white kid who opposes me, as a person of colour, talking about white people in a way that he identifies as a "black man victim role". He argues that I make fun of white people to "be down" with "pissed of black folks from this site" (a racist sentiment from a white person especially). Now, he goes on to tell me that, despite the fact that I am a coloured person who experiences racism and has experienced serious racism throughout his life, that I have no right to reference white people in what he understands as a 'black manner'. If I was black, in other words, he would have no problem with me making fun of white souther racists, despite the fact that I told him I lived in texas as a child and watched my family cry as a cross burned in our lawn. Here is the exchange, you decide:

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=514248&mesg_id=514248&page=#517191

Now that you've read the exchange, here is the politics of why I am writing this. People in this forum who know me from when I posted in Activist often know that I am most concerned about class relations, Marxism and working-class solidarity among workers of all races against capitalists of all races. However, I do recognize that the dominant class in our society is overwhelmingly white and as a result the ideologies of male white supremacy are integral to this system. Thus, every now and then, from time to time make fun of the current and historical behaviours of white people that I have experienced either personally or through some literary medium. Furthermore, it is extremely worrisome that he express his disdain for me from some ass backward liberal "i do this because I am concerned about racism" type bullshit. The question, then, is: Does a white kid who does not know me or my life experiences have any place telling me, a working-class person of colour, how I should identify with other races? Can a white person even begin to understand where I am coming from in this regard?