Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectYabbaFast
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31926
31926, YabbaFast
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Oct-27-05 08:45 PM
21 DAY RAW FOOD AND JUICING FAST

Please contact Skai ASAP to be a part of this fabulous, cleansing, detoxifying, rejuvenating, healing fast.

theyabbapot@earthlink.net

* Wednesday, Nov 16th, 7pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - FREE

INFORMATION SESSION

All those interested in participating in this fast needs to come to find out the whats and the hows.

Bring your calendar and your questions.

Please RSVP

So far we have about 40 people interested. It would be great to get a group of about 50 all fasting together.

* Wednesday, Nov 30th, 6 pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - FREE

FAST BEGINS

Raw Packets, Pick your Buddy, Weigh-in (private, of course)

Bring a Small Notebook for Journal Writing

* Friday, December 2nd, 6 pm - Location to be Announced - $8 or Bring a Dish

RAW POTLUCK - Specializing in Salads, Bring a dish or produce to make salads

* Sunday, December 4th, 7 am - Druid Hill Park - FREE

GROUP BRISK WALK (Weather Permitting)

* Tuesday, Dec 6th, 6 pm - Location to be announced - FREE

REFLECTIONS AND SMOOTHIES - Reflecting on the first seven days and making a variety of deliciuos smoothies. Bring Fruit for the smoothies. May need a few more blenders.

* Thursday, Dec 8th, 7 pm - Restaurant to be announced - $$ (10 – 20)

How to eat and enjoy a wonderful Raw meal while dining out in a mainstream America restaurant.....Well, let's give it a try!

* Saturday, Dec 10th, 1 pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd ($10-20)

BODY WORK AND YOGA - Learn some healing movements to keep your body flexed and strong, massage therapist on site, too!

* Monday, Dec 12th, 7 pm - Location to be announce - $5 or Bring some produce

REFLECTIONS: We are half way there! Weigh-in, Joining a Co-Op, Raw Food UnCooking with Skai - The Vegan Diva! and more!

* Wednesday, Dec 14th, 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washinton Blvd - $5

LIVE ENZYMES!! Learn out to create Indoor winter sprouting garden with ADAM KANDEL

* Friday, Dec 16th, 7 pm - Location to be Announced - $5 or bring produce to juice

JUICING PARTY! - Come on yall let juice and dance the night away! Bring some produce to juice. We may need some volunteers to bring their juicers, so we can have enough! Also, bring a musical instrument resembling a drum and we can make some rhythem!

* Sunday, Dec 18th, 7 AM - Druid Hill Park - Weather Permitting - FREE

GROUP BRISK WALK

* Wednesday, Dec 21st, 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - $12

FAST ENDS! - Weigh in - Grand Raw Dinner @ The Yabba Pot.

Please confirm attendance for each event! Please call your Buddy everyday!

STARTING NOVEMBER:

SUNDAY FAMILY BUFFET - The Yabba Pot - 3 - 7pm

Take the Family and friends out to a delicious Vegan Buffet. Best food this side of the UNIVERSE!
31927, RE: YabbaFast
Posted by ya Setshego, Sun Nov-20-05 01:22 PM
^^^^^
31928, RE: YabbaFast
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Nov-30-05 02:30 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
31929, That Dec. 8th one looks controversial!!!!
Posted by Allah, Wed Nov-30-05 09:18 PM
that's some stuff I need to know!
31930, RE: YabbaFast
Posted by BlakRenaissance, Thu Dec-01-05 11:03 AM
I miss everything. :-( Fill us in so broke people like me can at least "try/attempt" from our locations.
31931, RE: (c)- Yoda
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-01-05 11:10 AM
There IS no TRY. Only DO, or do not do.
31932, DAY 1, 11/30/05
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-01-05 11:05 AM
We met @ Yabba 2 last night. Fifty-nine people from DC & MD signed up 2 participate. I was hoping that a few of U VegSoul posters would get in on this as well, since U R trying 2 transition 2 LiveFoodism anyway. This would be a good way 2 prepare 4 a transition 2 vegetarianism, AND Raw Foodism.
We R supposed 2 journal everyday, so I'm just going 2 write mine in here. Each daily entry should consist of the following:
1. What did I eat?
2. How did I feel?
3. What did my stool look like? (Floating stool is healthy. Stool that drops 2 the base of the toilet is toxic.<I knew I was in big trouble right THEN>)
4. Name my emotions.
5. Note dreams.

I ate a Live Plate from yabba yesterday, ginger beer plus a vegan cocoa brownie (I know, I know). I was saying 'Good-bye 2 sweets' for the time period. This is a fast from COOKED FOOD & SUGAR. The Live plate consisted of kale, seaweed, avocado salad, and pasta.

Today I'm not eating anything. I'll get a Live juice from Yabba, and drink Deer Park spring h20 all day. This will be my 1-day a week fast from food, 2 give my body a break from digestion.

Here R some notes I took last night @ the meeting, and Skai was excited @ the prospect of some of y'all participating in this as well, so I hope U decide 2 do so:

Naturopath Ian Noel-recommended physician
Sunsplash Healthfood store on Reisterstown & Fallstaff sells sprouts in bulk.
Spring H20 and distilled H20 is 'dead' according 2 raw foodists, so add a spritz of lemon 2 it 2 give it cells before drinking.
*Buckwheat greens R complete protein.
It's good 2 i.d. a buddy 2 touch base w/ twice a day during this fast, 4 support & encouragement.
Visit www.natrualzing.com, which is a RAW Foods colony out route 70 in MD. They sell all kinds of good stuff 4 the Raw Foods Enthusiast.
JOIN the on-line group rawsoul@yahoogroups.com, which consists of raw foodists from the MD/DC/VA area. There will be discussions about this fast there.
Enzyme Nutrition-is a recommended book about eating Live EVERYTHING, including dairy, & meat, cuz cooked food is addictive.
Visit www.rawfoodwiki.org, a website organized by one of the participants, where U can add info about raw foodism, as well.
Agave nectar is good 2 use as a sweetener in herbal teas, which is the only hot beverage we should be drinking.
Tony Robbins has a CD called "Get the Edge", where he talks about enzymes, and their effects on the system. RECOMMENDED by Baba Kauna, of Sankofa Dance Theatre.
****Tofu is NOT raw. The blocks have been formulated from the curd of COOKED soybeans.
The key 2 live kale: Add lemon, as it breaks down the enzymes which cause its stiffness, & gives the texture of sauteed kale, even though it's not.
---JUICERS---
Omega, costs $189, Jack La Lane<available on-line> costs $150, also see www.discountjuicer.com 4 good deals.
&&&FOOD PROCESSORS&&&
Go 2 National Wholesalers 4 a good price on a Food Processor.

Nuts R hard 2 digest raw, but if U soak them 1st 4 12-hours, the enzyme which is difficult 2 digest is released.
31933, RE: YabbaFast Booklet
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-01-05 11:34 AM
The Yabba Pot

Presents

A 21 Day

Raw Food and Juicing

Challenge

(Fast)

Nov 30 – Dec 21

The Yabba Pot DownTown

771 Washington Blvd

Baltimore, MD 21230

410-962-TOFU

www.theyabbapot.com

theyabbapot@earthlink.net

WHY RAW FOOD?

What we eat deeply and radically affects the way we think, feel, and behave. WE are what we eat and we eat what we are. Food affects every aspect of our being. Food is the physical foundation of our body. If the foundation is unstable, all that is built upon it will be unstable. Everything you physically are was once the air you breathed, the water you drank, and the food you ate. The colloidal mineral structure of your body is built out of the foods you have eaten. If there is an alteration in the food, then it is reflected in the look and function of the body. Improve your food choices and you dramatically improve the foundation upon which your body is built.

Cooking food over temperatures of 112 destroys all enzymes. This is a problem because life itself depends on enzymes. We need enzymes for every living bodily function: walking, talking, and breathing. As we age, our bodies’ natural source of enzymes becomes depleted. We need to replenish this source through the foods we eat. If we do not do this – if we continue to cook away the enzymes in our food – then we eventually begin to use our own natural enzymes reserves. Meanwhile the cooking process makes it more difficult for our bodies to break up and digest the food we eat. The food begins to become stored in our bodies as toxins, leading to all sorts of disease.

WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF RAW FOODS?

Raw Foods and Juicing effortlessly drops unwanted pounds, boosts your immune system, enhances your relationships, lengthen life, brings you closer to the spiritual realms, allows you to think more creatively, clears emotional blockages, improves your performance in business, and creates a healthier, happier life for you and those around you.

People who continuously eat a raw and living foods diet heal themselves of:

Diabetes, Fibromyalgia, Acne, Migraines, Back, Neck and Joint Pain, Asthma, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Hypoglycemia, Colitis and Diverticulitis, Candida, Arthritis, Serious Allergies, Depression, Anxiety and Mood Swings, Heartburn, Gas and Bloating, Skin Diseases, Obesity, Menopausal Symptoms, Chronic Fatigue, Cancers and other ailments and diseases….just by eating differently.

To remain young, one must change

Alexander Chasea

WHAT ARE YOU ALLOWED TO EAT ON THE RAW FOOD CHALLENGE?

Raw and living food consists of uncooked fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains. These foods are not processed, heated, cooked or altered in any way. They are nothing more than whole foods in their natural state. You can eat any raw fruits, vegetables, nuts, or seeds. If you sprout grains and beans, you can eat those too.

Here is a partial listing of what we are allowed to eat within the next 21 days. You will see that this list is filled with so much variety you will never get bored:

Fresh Fruit and Fruit Juices:

Apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupes, cherimoyas, cherries, coconuts, cucumbers, dates, durian, figs, grapefruit, grapes, kiwis, lemons, limes, mangoes, melons, nectarines, oranges, papayas, peaches, pears, persimmon, pineapples, plums, sapotes, strawberries, tomatoes, tropical fruits, zucchini.

These are all fresh, ripe, raw and hopefully organic. No fruits that come in a can or jar: they are not raw.

Fresh Vegetables and Vegetable Juices:

Beets, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, celery root, celery, chives, collards, corn, dandelion, eggplant, endive, escarole, fennel, garlic, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuces, mushrooms, mustard greens, okra, olives, onions, parsley, parsnips, peas, peppers, radishes, sorrel, spinach, sprouts, squash, swiss chard, turnips, watercress.

These must also be fresh, ripe, raw, and hopefully organic. Do not eat any vegetables that come in a can or a jar: they are not raw.

Nuts and Seeds:

Raw and Unsalted Only!

Almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, filberts, flaxseeds, hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, pine nuts, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts.

Sprouts:

Barley, buckwheat, chickpeas, lentils, mung, quinoa, rye, wheat

Dried Fruits:

No Sugar or Sulfates

Apples, apricots, bananas, dates, figs, pears, prunes, raisins

Seaweed:

Raw not Toasted

Dulse, hijiki, kelp, nori, Wakame

Other Foods:

Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, raw honey, raw carob powder, braggs liquid aminos, nama shoyu, sea salt, spices and herbs, raw tahini, raw almond butter and other raw nut butters

As I see it, everyday you do one of two things:

Build health or produce disease in yourself

-Adelle Davis

EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED

Depending on your budget and what you already have, I would not recommend anyone running out and buying all these gadgets because after 21 days of usage they may (hopefully not) sit on the kitchen counter collecting dust. If however your pocket allows it and you are committed to making real changes in your life starting today than invest in the more inexpensive versions of the following: They usually all work fine. I would upgrade to the more expensive brands once your life requires them.

A Blender, Food Processor, and a Juicer.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

RESOURCES

Ethel Hurt, Colonic Irrigation

Randallstown, Baltimore

410-578-0231

WEBSITES

* www.rawfood.com
* www.fasting.com
* www.rawfoodtalk.com
* www.Spirithealing.net
* www.awareeating.com: Personal coaching on the phone for women who struggle with eating disorders, emotional eating, or simply feel out of control with food. Practical tools for learning to eat naturally, in accordance with your body's wisdom. Free consultation.
* www.rawreform.com: A testimonial raw weight loss site. my story and guidance for others who want to find their way into healthy recovery from obesity and overeating issues.
* www.happycow.net/raw/raw_living.html: Happy Cow provides information on the raw food diet, recipes, resources and world-wide searchable restaurant guide.
* www.fredericpatenaude.com: Don't miss Frederic's weekly e-mail news on the raw-food diet for controversial and useful information.
* www.bodybubble.com/eco-eating: Learn about the pitfalls to watch out for when you attempt to eat raw. Use the famous CaPNaK Chart to achieve and maintain tissue balance and fluid balance in your body.
* www.livingnutrition.com: The Raw Health Revolution Leader.
* www.eatraw.com: Raw food products for organic health and natural diets including weight loss and self help.
* www.dancingdragonenterprises.com: Raw food, bodywork and other items for health and healing.
* www.rawretreat.com: Raw food, bodywork and other items for health and healing.
* www.rawbc.org: A non-profit organization for raw and living foods in Vancouver and British Columbia, Canada
* www.learnrawfood.com: Raw food chef Jenny Cornbleet offers raw food diet lectures, classes, hands-on workshops, and consultations in the Chicago area and nationwide. Raw food recipes and books are also available, including Jenny's book "Raw Food Made Easy for 1 or 2 People".
* www.healthyhealing.org: Natural healing for people and animals
* www.chefcc.com: I am Los Angeles-based personal chef raw and vegan cuisine.
* www.living-foods.com: Large site with lots of resources and information
* www.rawtimes.com: Great site with lots of information
* www.rawfood.com: Lots of info and tons of products, books, videos, raw foods, etc.
* www.shazzie.com: Fun, inspiring, interesting and very informative site with transformational pictures, a year long, day by day, raw diary, recipes, and articles.
* www.fromsadtoraw.com: Raw journal, web site links, facts and tips for staying raw.
* www.rawlife.com: Paul Nison s web-site
* www.livingnutrition.com: Promoting the livingnutrion magazine.
* www.rawfamily.com: The boutenko family web-site
* www.rawgourmet.com: Nomi Shannons web-site promoting her book the raw gourmet
* www.alokhealth.com: - Alok Holistic Health Community. Supporting body-mind-spirit growth and well being through nutrition counseling, live-food, meditations, yoga, reiki, massage, parties, events, exotic retreats, & celebration.
* www.rawfoodchat.com: - Spread the raw word to everyone! Share your stories, recipes, and knowledge about the greatest lifestyle ever!
* www.BeautifulOnRaw.com: The Ultimate Guide to the Transformation from Sick to Vigorous, from Aging to Youthful, from Plain to Beautiful
* www.ArtOfLivingWell.com: Achieving vibrant health eating the foods God made, the way God made them.
* www.CelestialRawGoddess.com: lots of information for the raw lifestyle
* www.doctorgraham.cc: Speaker, author, trainer to world class athletes, and 20 year raw fooder
* www.gardenofhealth.com: lots of information.
* www.rawfoodinfo.com: Rio s web site. Tons of info for the raw world!
* www.thegardendiet.com: Testimonial, information and retreats
* www.fresh-network.com: U.K based site. Loads of info and products.
* www.highvibe.com: Products, recipes and lots of other info for raw food.
* www.tanglewoodwellnesscenter.com: Loren Lockman. Offering supervised fasts and healing programs.
* www.eatsprouts.com: For fresh LIVING greens daily, build your own Automatic Sprouter or order one ready-built.
* www.thefruitpages.com: Everything you ever wanted to know about fruit
* www.discountjuicers.com : Tons of products at low prices
* www.rawfoodnetwork.com: a major source of resources and networking for the raw world
* www.sutodesign.com: Site Design and Branding for alissacohen.com
* www.livingintheraw.com - Bryant Burke's site with info on seminars, events, lectures and a raw food community posting board.
* www.rawesome.com - a beautiful site with lots of inspiration and info.
* www.fountainofyouthnow.com - This is Brenda Cobbs site with lots of testimonials and info.
* www.rawandjuicy.com - Shelly's site with lots of info, before and after and so much more!
* www.about-breathing.com - Everything about breathing all in one place.
* www.stepstoperfecthealth.co.uk - Clinical testing and treatments tailored to the individuals needs
* www.sanoviv.com - Medical institute and raw food health retreat in Mexico
* www.rawheaven.com and www.purerawcafe.com - Cynthia Beavers web site and her new raw café web site
* www.synergy-healing.com - A (r)evolutionary system designed to help you blossom into your full potential. SYNERGY Healing combines Holistic Therapy, Bach Flower Remedies and Meditation.
* www.goingorganic.com - great site on organic gardening
* www.thrivetribe.com - charitable, educational and spiritual activities that promote the thriving and good for all people
* www.tolifeonline.com - informative site on healing including a book with lots of testimonials
* www.rawcrunch.com - the best raw bars available!
* www.livingharvest.com - conscious nutrition. LIVE Hemp Food Products.

These are hilarious little movies about the state of
our food today - only a few minutes long, be sure to
check em out! (especially if you like Star Wars & the
Matrix)

http://www.storewars.org/flash/index.html

http://www.themeatrix.com/

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

RECIPES

Dark dream smoothie

2 bananas, peeled
1 punnet of blueberries
1 papaya, skinned and de-seeded
2 dates, stoned

Chop the dates. Blend all ingredients and drink.

Italian soup

This is a very simple but really tasty soup. You can add other flavours to it for lots of variation.

1 avocado, peeled and stoned
4 tomatoes
A handful of basil
1/4 of a cup of cold pressed olive oil

Blend all ingredients. If it's too thick add some freshly made tomato or cucumber juice.

Sunset pudding

2 bananas, peeled
1 mango, skinned and stoned
10 strawberries
2 dates, stoned (optional, because this is a very sweet pudding)

Chop the dates. Put everything in a food processor and blend until it looks like a pudding.

Warm feeling inside salad

This salad is such comforting one, it will make you glow!

1 lettuce
1 or 2 fennel bulbs (depending on size)
1 red onion
1 clove of garlic
1 red pepper, de-seeded
1 orange pepper, de-seeded
6 tomatoes
1 cup of pumpkin sprouts or seeds, soaked
4 sticks of celery
2 avocados, peeled and stoned
10 macadamias
1 cup of watercress
4 dates, stoned

Prepare the lettuce in your favourite way, chop the fennel, onion, peppers, tomatoes, watercress and celery. Finely chop the garlic and dates, and slice the avocado. Toss all the ingredients together except the macadamias -- you need to throw these on top from a very great height.

Sweet spread

I love this! I serve this on big romaine leaves, put basil leaves on top and eat it like an open sandwich.

1 avocado, peeled and stoned
1 banana, peeled
1 clove of garlic

Chop the garlic and blend all the ingredients in a food processor.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

***DURING THE 21 DAY CHALLENGE BE AWARE OF:
Mucoid Plaque Destruction
25 April 2001

I didn't do anything different, but suddenly my body decided to get rid of some really old stuff. Some say mucoid plaque doesn't exist, and if that's so, I wonder what the explanation for this little lot is!

I spent all night on the loo, in quite a lot of pain, but in big-time fascination at what I saw! Hundreds of shattered pieces of mucoid plaque came out. Some as big as a cornflake, most a bit smaller. Here are a few...

This is a selection of what came out. Mostly dark green and dark red in color with the texture of leathery seaweed.

Here's a close up!

Here's a close up of some root-type thing that was attached to many of them.

Another close up!

And this disgusting thing! Is it a maggot? If so, what was it doing in me!??

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

SIGNIFICANCE OF ENDING THE 21 DAY CHALLENGE

ON THE WINTER SOLSTICE

The winter solstice, the shortest sunlit day of the year, the day when the sun is farthest away from us and his light is most remote, has been celebrated in ceremony the world over for as long as human memory exists. The celebration was most enthusiastic in areas of the earth where the winter is very dark and very long, and the yearning for sun and light was so passionate. Although we now have electricity, and can "see" with the light flick of a switch, we still honor the power and mystery of darkness, both literally and symbolically. We recognize it as a mighty contender to our sense of safety and equilibrium, and we are always anxious until we can see the first flicker of light, the first ray of hope, the first seeds of solution, to any darkness that has invaded our life light. For this reason, celebrating the winter solstice, and the sun's return to our atmosphere, and the longer hours of light, is as appropriate now as ever...maybe more so...regardless of whether or not you follow a more traditional religious observance at this time of the year.

The winter solstice demonstrates the enduring cycle of the heavens by an event that has been directly observable, year in and year out, century after century, for millions of years. The new year begins with the turning point of the winter solstice, as it has down through eons-an unending cycle of dark and light, waning and waxing, ultimately representing nature's birth, death, and rebirth. The winter solstice is a time to affirm our spiritual ties to nature through celebrations and traditions that are thousands of years old.

Whether celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or Yule, we can all delight in the season as a time to renew family ties, take joy in our natural environment, reflect on the events of the old year, and look forward in anticipation to the new. As the winter solstice demonstrates to us, every ending is a new beginning.

Most of the information in this packet was cut and pasted from:

www.alissacohen.com

www.shazzie.com

11/29/2005

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

21 Day Raw Food and Juicing Challenge

Wednesday, Nov 16th, 7pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - FREE

INFORMATION SESSION

* All those interested in participating in this fast need to come to find out the whats and the hows.
* Bring your calendar and your questions.
* Please RSVP
* So far we have about 40 people interested. It would be great to get a group of about 50 all fasting together.

Wednesday, Nov 30th, 6 pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - FREE

FAST BEGINS

* Raw Packets, Pick your Buddy, Weigh-yourself
* Use a Small Notebook for Journal Writing

Friday, December 2nd, 6 pm – The Yabba Pot – 771 Washington Blvd - $8 or Bring a Dish

RAW POTLUCK

* Specializing in Salads
* Bring a dish or produce to make salads

Sunday, December 4th, 7 am – Leakin Park- FREE

GROUP BRISK WALK (Weather Permitting)

Led by Baba Kauna of Sankofa Dance Theater

Wednesday, Dec 7th, 6 pm – 771 Washington Blvd - $5

REFLECTIONS AND SMOOTHIES –

* Dr. Ian Noel – Speaking on the fundamentals of living on live foods, natural diet, herbs and his practice
* making a variety of delicious smoothies. Bring Fruit for the smoothies.
* Reflecting on the first seven days
* May need a few more blenders.

Friday, Dec 9th, 7 pm - Restaurant to be announced – ($10 – 20)

DISCUSSION –

* How to eat and enjoy a wonderful raw meal while dining out in mainstream America…well, let’s give it a try!

Saturday, Dec 10th, 1 pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd ($10-20)

BODY WORK AND YOGA

* Learn some healing movements to keep your body flexed
* massage therapists on site, too!

Monday, Dec 12th, 7 pm – The Yabba Pot DownTown – 771 Washington Blvd - $10

REFLECTIONS: We are half way there!

* Raw Food UnCooking with Skai - The Vegan Diva!
* Weigh-in
* Info on Joining The Village: A Natural Food Co-Operative…And More!

Wednesday, Dec 14th, 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washinton Blvd - $5

LIVE ENZYMES!!

* Learn how to create Indoor winter sprouting garden with ADAM KANDEL
* Adam will be bringing some live! Sprouts to sell

Friday, Dec 16th, 7 pm – The Yabba Pot DownTown- $5 or bring produce to juice

JUICING PARTY!

* Come on yall, let juice and dance the night away! Bring some produce to juice. We may need some volunteers to bring their juicers, so we can have enough! Also, bring a musical instrument resembling the drum and we can make some rhythm!

Sunday, Dec 18th, 7 AM –Leakin Park

GROUP BRISK WALK

Wednesday, Dec 21st, Winter Solstice - 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - $15

FAST ENDS!

* Grand Raw Dinner @ The Yabba Pot
* Weigh-yourself again.
31934, i'm doing a modified fast
Posted by LexM, Thu Dec-01-05 01:56 PM
for the winter solstice (week before christmas, for the most part)...this is great tho. thanks for the info. :)
31935, DAY 3, 12/2/05
Posted by ya Setshego, Fri Dec-02-05 12:49 PM
I ate some roasted sunflower seeds 2day, so I messed up there, but once I realized they weren't Live, I just kept cracking, and eating. Besides that, I had some of a side of Live Kale and Live Pasta from Yabba that I picked up yesterday. I plan 2 eat off those 4 the week-end. Monday & Tuesday I'm planning a Live soup of carrots, celery, onions, & Lime Juice.
I've been feeling dizzy, light-headed and crampy, which Skai stated would happen.
It's caused by toxin release, and mucoid plaque formation, which I see floating around in my stool.
My emotions? Fatigue. I'm not sure if that is an emotion or not, but I feel fatigued. I'm 'laying low' this w/e. Not going 2 the pot-luck 2night. I'll do the exercise thing in the park though, probably.
31936, from raw soul @ yahoo groups:
Posted by ya Setshego, Fri Dec-02-05 04:38 PM
More Book Choices:

12 Steps to Raw Foods – Victoria Boutenko
The Raw Family – The Boutenko’s
Eating Without Heating – Sergei and Valya Boutenko
Raw, The UnCook Book – Juliano
Living in the Raw – Rose Lee Calabro
The UnCook Book – Elizabeth Baker
The Gourmet UnCook Book – Elizabeth Baker
The Complete Book of Raw Food, From The World’s Top Raw Food Chefs – Lori Baird
Food Combining & Digestion – Steve Meyerowitz
Food Combining Made Easy – Herbert Shelton
Eating for Beauty – David Wolfe
Journey To Health, Journey To Health II – Annette Larkins
(To order search the website: www.annettelarkins.com )

Your Body’s Many Cries For Water – F. Batmanghelidj
Drugs Masquerading As Foods - SUZAR
The Children’ Health Food Book – Ron Seaborn
Raw Secrets - Frederic Patenaude

Rational Fasting – Arnold Ehret
Mucusless Diet Healing System – Arnold Ehret
The Miracle of Fasting – Paul Bragg
Fasting Can Save Your Life – Herbert Shelton
Fasting For the Renewal of Life – Herbert Shelton
The Master Cleanser – Stanley Burroughs
Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices - Dr. Norman Walker
Colon Health - Dr. Norman Walker
Juice Fasting - Dr. Paavo Airola

Electrical Nutrition - Denie and Shelley Hiestand
The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil – Bruce Fife
31937, Days 4-6, 12/3-5/05
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Dec-05-05 11:19 AM
This week-end was pretty interesting. They said we should journal our dreams, so I guess I'll share mine here: Saturday I dreamt I was back in Jamaica again. It was the last day, and I was playing w/ a beach ball, which I inadvertantly tossed over a hill. I ran over the hill 2 get the ball, only 2 discover that the ocean was RIGHT THERE, as the tide had come in, STRONG. I was trying 2 fish 4 the ball w/o getting in the water, since I did not know how deep it was, & finally got it. The driver was waiting 2 take me back 2 the resort, and I was holding up a busload of people trying 2 get this ball. It took a long time 2 get back 2 the resort, b/c of traffic, and some kind of bridge that raises(I forget what they are called), 2 allow sailboats through. Time was wearing on, & I was not dressed 4 the airport. It seemed that I was sure 2 miss my flight. Then I woke up.

I attended a WPFW fund-raiser, w/ 'Cheffie D', who assisted Aris LaTham @ VegSoul. He did food demonstrations, and offerred a 7-8 course meal of mostly live foods. I broke down @ ate the squash soup & pie(both cooked), but the rest of the cooked plate I left alone. I also resisted a cup of split pea soup @ Roots Organic market yesterday, which was SERIOUSLY calling my name. I'm coming down w/ a cold, and feeling crampy, but supposedly, that's all apart of the cleansing process.

2day I will eat raw snacks I purchased from Roots, and a big salad. I'm getting my sugar fix from root beer & ginger beer, made w/ cane juice. I miss my Lipton sweet tea, and Blow Pops, but I am dealing w/ it.
31938, They gave us a sample @ the WPFW
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Dec-05-05 12:28 PM
FUNDRAISER, & it was HOT!

Afro-Cuban Orisha Dance Class

Thursdays
7:30-9:00pm
Cost: $13.00
Instructor: Charisse Williams

733 Euclid Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
(off of Georgia Ave., a half block from Howard University)

Afro-Cuban Orisha Dance focuses on dances of the Orisha, entities that represent forces of nature and aspects of the human character. Orisha, and the dances, songs, music and traditions associated with them, were carried by the Yoruba people of West Africa to Cuba during the slave trade. In Cuba, the traditions evolved in response to the ethnic, cultural and linguistic mix of peoples there. This class explores the Orisha, such as Elegua, Oshun and Yemaya, through movement, _expression, song and live drumming led by David Font.

Afro-Caribbean Movement

Saturdays
12:30-2:00pm
Cost: $12.00
Instructor: Charisse Williams

6906 4th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20012
(2 blocks from Takoma Park Metro Station)

Afro-Caribbean Movement is an exploration into dances of the African Diaspora including West African, Afro-Cuban, and Haitian. Each class emphasizes isolation and technique and ends with choreography that builds on each dancer’s strengths and accommodates varying levels of dance experience. Afro-Caribbean Movement is upbeat and athletic, challenging the dancer physically and mentally.

Class Attire: Please wear comfortable clothing suitable for dance and be prepared to dance barefoot. Women are encouraged to bring large flowing Caribbean type skirts, which are used in the interpretation of the dance.

Instructor bio: Charisse has over ten years experience studying, performing and teaching African Diaspora dance forms including West African, Caribbean and Capoeira Angola. She most recently performed Afro-Cuban dance with Ashe Moyubba Folkloric Ensemble. Charisse is the founder of the Diaspora Dance Theater Project.

For more information, email me at cwilliams@diasporadance.org or call 240.463.1663.

Charisse M. Williams
Founder
Diaspora Dance Theater Project
31939, RE: Live Workshop in Philly
Posted by ya Setshego, Tue Dec-06-05 12:52 PM
I wish I could afford 2 attend this. It's going 2 b awesome. I had this Sistah's food this past Saturday, & she is nuttin' 2 f*** wit' in the kitchen. Her Live Pizzas alone cost $50. She is a nurse, who cured herself of diabetes through Live Foodism:

Let's Get Together
Alive and Raw
Certification Workshop
In : Philadelphia
Saturday and Sunday
December 10 th & 11th
11:00 AM till 6:00 PM
Breakfast- Lunch & Dinner
will be served Both Days
This workshop will cover all the areas of live food preparation
from basic food prep to Gourmet and Sprouting
We will prepare :
Nut & Seed Milks
Pates
Burgers
Eat Loaf
Cheese
Cream Cheese
Chips
Seaweeds
Sweet Potatoes
Lasagna
Pizza
Ice Cream
This workshop comes complete with a Workbook
full of recipes and tips
Cost : $200.00 if you register before 12/ 6/05
$250.00 at the door
Contact Ace at 804-863-0635
or aliveandraw@aol.com
This class will never be held at this price Again
The cost of organic foods has risen therefore the cost of our workshop will increase
31940, RE: Dec. 7th, Day 8
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Dec-07-05 12:44 PM
Siiiiigh. I can't believe there's TWO MORE WEEKS OF THIS. I'm poppin' Vit. C like they're 'uppers', tryin' 2 ward off this cold that's started, and eating oranges like I've not eaten in a week(which 4 the most part, I haven't). I need 2 B making about 15 more a year 2 COMFORTABLY afford this diet. I paid $12 for NamaShoyu @ Roots Organic Market, so I can make Lynda Carter's sea collards. $12! It's soy sauce, People! I'm losing weight, cuz of poop coming out, w/o anything coming back in2 replace it(which is ALWAYS a good thing). I am DEFINITELY feeling the effects of how cooked food is addictive right about now. I'm actually experiencing w/drawal symptoms(irritability, cramps, pimples, weakness & this cold). On rawsoul@yahoogroups.com, they said that some people lose nerve & actually go back 2 cooked food @ this point, b/c just like when U R a drug addict, going thru w/drawal, U feel "better" if U get your hands on some drugs during the period, which is like the storm preceding the sea of calm.
31941, RE: Dec. 7th, Day 8
Posted by MizSoulRebelle, Thu Dec-08-05 11:26 AM
peace sistren,

give thanks for this info. how often is the yabbafast?
31942, This is the 1st X Sis/Bro
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-08-05 12:47 PM
It's a revolution in the making. It took Blackfolk approximately 30 years 2 'get enlightened', and on the band-wagon w/ whitefolks(not EVERY single thing they do is bad) of Raw foodism. The Honorable Elijah Muhammad is largely responsible, b/c it is he who prompted Blackfolk 2 start thinking about revolution through diet w/ "Eat To Live". If U feel it's too late 2 join in, please know this is not the case. We had 2 people who met w/ the group 4 the 1st X last night, and plan on doing it 4 the remaining 2 weeks. There R even people involved, who know absolutely nothing about vegetarianism, & kind of stumbled in2 this thing, some kind of way, & decided 2 stick w/ it. that is just amazing 2 me. So, feel free 2 get in, where U fit in. U can just do what U can, where U R, if U aren't in the DC/MD/VA area, & can't physically come out 2 the meetings. I'll keep the OKplayers updated thru this post.
31943, that's like
Posted by LexM, Thu Dec-08-05 02:18 PM
i know it's time for a good detox 'cause i'm craving things i either haven't had in yrs or that i know are bad for me.

it's a mess. lol. i'm indulging for now, but when i take my "week off", i'm definitely going to try to rethink what i'm putting in there. and maybe get more into using herbal supplements.

i can imagine that the raw food diet (done right) would be hellishly expensive. hell, it's hard enough thinking about going vegan sometimes.

i might have to stick w/ the ovo-veggie lifestyle at least until 30-35 or so. then i'll reevaluate.

~~~~
~*~http://omidele.blogspot.com/ ~*~
31944, RE: Unless
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-08-05 04:02 PM
U live on a farm, like that 1 out route 70, or this rites of passage retreat space I visited in Reisterstown last year, which has ALL KINDS of fruit trees and whatnot all over the property, yes, this thing is expensive. That is Y I fell off trying 2 go raw 15 years ago. I could not afford it, working part-time, and going 2 school full-time. I was doing well too, making my own lotion, etc., but there just came a point where I could not afford the time & money 2 put in2 the diet, while trying 2 graduate.
31945, sounds like you were really serious
Posted by LexM, Thu Dec-08-05 04:58 PM
i haven't gotten to *that* point yet.

although i know that one day i'm gonna have to give up cheese *sigh*.

lol

~~~~
~*~http://omidele.blogspot.com/ ~*~
31946, RE: Yeah, I was
Posted by ya Setshego, Sat Dec-10-05 09:57 AM
These past couple of days, I just veered off the path(had split pea soup , cooked greens & quinoa yesterday). I got some coconuts from Everlasting Life, so I'm going 2 make a coco-mango smoothie, w/ ginseng, this w/e. 2night should b peace w/ the massages, & all. W. the snow, I just needed something thick, and hot in my system. I think I could do cooked foods 1-2 days a week, and b peace.
31947, RE: DAY 9, Dec. 8th
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-08-05 01:52 PM
I'm loving this quote from a fellow faster on rawsoul@yahoogroups.com:

"I am God of this." Meaning, whether it goes well, or poorly, is up 2 her. If she cheats, R sticks w/ the whole thing, is up 2 her. SHE has the power, 2 make, or break, her own self. WOW.

Anyhow, here R my notes from the lecture w/ Dr. Ian Noel, Naturopath, who addressed the Yabbafasters last night @ YabbaII:

His office is @ 208 Pulaski, in Baltimore. His phone # is: 410-566-5692. His waiting list is 2 mos. long. His caveat: Don't come 2 me, if U aren't prepared 2 make the dietary changes that I'll recommend 4 whatever your ailment is. That's a waste of time, & I don't need your money THAT badly, 2 take it, 4 nothing.

Raw food living is the original diet of human beings.
If we want 2 restore the body back 2 its original state, b-4 dis-ease, we need 2 change our thinking about food.
Use cayenne, and ginger 4 warming when doing Live foods in the winter.
Seaweed raises the sodium levels in the body, so 1 does not become dehydrated in the summer.
Plants draw nitrates and other life-giving nutrients from the earth, in their natural form. Phytochemicals are found in plants. Enzymes in live foods help rejuvenate unhealthy tissue. food is supposed 2 do 4 things 4 U, & if ANYTHING U ingest does not do this, it does NOT qualify as food: 1. Repair cells
2. Heal
3. Maintain vital processes(such as cooling an overheated body)
4. provide fuel(Energy) & promote Growth

Hot flashes in women can b counteracted by eating plums, an estradiol plant that cools down estrogen.
Hypoglycemics should not eat lots of cucumbers b/c they lower the glucose level even more, which will make the person more irritable.
Food should B the foundation 4 health.
Plants were designed 2 help 1 achieve the highest level of vibration, & achievment in Life.
FAster healing occurs w/ the more Live foods 1 eats, b/c the Live enzymes R available 4 rejuvenation, & the cooked, dead food is not present 2 impede healing, or even cause dis-ease. The body rejuvenates @ a higher healing cycle.
When hamper the body w/ something that degenerates the body, it reaches a pt. where it is so broken down, that 1 needs drastic measures 2 heal, or even survive, e.g. surgery.
Bananas R very moistening 4 "dry" people.
Spinach is good 4 constipation.
Ginger, & peppermint R good 2 stimulate the Chi, which 1 wants during the cold mos. b/c it helps 1 feel warm.
In Ayurveda identify the body according 2 the Doshas.
High Blood Pressure people should not eat foods that are high in sodium, such as tomatoes, and should eat foods that lower blood pressure, like garlic.
Drink more water, this helps 2 dilute the toxins as they R being flushed out during Live fast.

BODY TYPE+++

Chinese system-
Yin: This person has a slow metabolism, exercises every now & again, is more relaxed.
Yang:This person is very wiry, lean, has fast metabolism & is hyperactive. They should NOT eat spicy foods.

Then there is the in between person, who leans slightly more towards the yang end of the spectrum.

Ayurvedic system- Yang=Vata: Needs little sleep.
Pita=In bet., closer 2 vata, but R really in bet.
Yin=Kaffa: Prone 2 exercise; needs more sleep.

FOODS ELEMENT RULES the:
Salty-Water kidney, bladder, bones, short term memory
Sweet-Earth stomach, spleen, pancreas, Muscle tissue, sense of taste(tongue)
Bitter-Fire heart, small intestines, mouth(speech), blood vessels
Pungent-Metal lungs, colon, skin tissue, sense of smell(nose)
sour- Wood Liver & gall bladder, eyes and ligaments

Dis-ease manifests in the organs where there is a weakness of a certain element, so should eat foods from that corresponding grp.

Lower back is controlled by the kidneys, which also control short term memory. Do balance of salty foods 2 improve probs. w/ these areas. Identify the parent element of (Water)salty foods, if have high blood pressure also, which means should not eat salty foods, which is Pungent foods, like garlic, which also balances blood pressure.
When understand that the body needs 5 flavors of raw foods, will do the investigation 2 figure what creative combinations 1 can create 2 achieve this variety, which promotes health.
The immune system is ALWAYS @ wrk. 2 restore the body 2 perfect health.
So even if the body is already sick & broken down, Live Foods can help improve health. 1 who is on a lot of meds. needs 2 detox from the toxins caused by the drugs in the body 1st.
***GET "energetics of food" chart (which hangs in his ofc.) from www.redwingbooks.com
***Also GET the book, "healing w/ Whole Foods"-Paul Pitchford, from amazon.com , which is the Bible of Foods, basically
Eat Warming foods in winter, cooling foods in the summer. eat warming, fattier foods during the
winter(cayenne, garlic, ginger, avocado, nuts, winter
squash), which is a period of natural hibernation and
rest for organisms, and 2 eat lighter foods w/ more
H20 in them during the summer(seaweed, kale, all the
"greens", coconut). He said 2 eat the stuff that's in
season, when it's in season, as God intended. That's a
hint from Nature on what 2 eat, and when, in order 2
get one's body in sync w/ the natural biorhythms of
the Earth.
There R 5 seasons, fall, winter, spring, summer, and the transitioning pds. bet each season, which the whites ignorantly called "Indian Summer" in late August-to-early-Sept., 2 indicate that the weather is changing back-and-forth, like the so-called Indians, whom they think gave them something, only 2 change their minds about it, and try 2 take it back(that is also where the term "Indian-giver" comes from, which is Y I try not 2 say that anymore).These transition pds. which encompass the equinoxes & the solstices, R called 'doyu', and controls the stomach & the spleen(***this is consistent w/ your Ausar-Auset notes, DRE).
Fire corresponds 2 summer
Earth-Doyu
Water-Winter
Eat according 2 the seasons.
During the spring, stretch your ligaments. Get up AND MOVE.
In the winter, SLEEP. Go 2 bed early. Keep still. & quiet. Conserve your energy 4 the summer & spring, when U can get out & burn it.
During the winter, do weight training also, 2 replenish calcium in the bones.
Eat Green leafy veggies & more fruit in the summer.
In the fall, eat more beans, 2 pack in more nutrients. As become raw, the body becomes in tune w/ the biorhythms of the Universe, so will WANT 2 sleep earlier in the winter, and optimally, 1 should go 2 bed @ dusk, if your Lifestyle will allow it. This will improve health, and help the body obtain the amount of rest it TRULY needs 4 the cold mos.
Examine your environment. Using cleaning chemicals on your floor migh t be causing allergies, b/c the fumes are swept up by the heat coming out of the vents, and bathing you as you move through your house, and U inhale them. They might prove detrimental 2 your health.
Do thorough, independent investigation about raw foodism b-4 embarking upon it as a short-term, or long-term regimen, b/c 1 could damage oneself if not employing proper food combining, and eating the right foods Live, that fit your body type.

31948, RE: It's addictive!
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-08-05 03:57 PM
Oh, how he 'lost it' when I said that about eating cooked foods! "How long will we use that as an excuse?" he shot back. "That's the problem with this country. Excuses. We use our excuses to justify remaining weak. Weak, as a nation." Shut my mouth RIGHT up.
31949, RE: DAY 12
Posted by ya Setshego, Sun Dec-11-05 05:26 PM
I've fallen off, here and there. Had cooked beans and papadam(sp?) last night, which was delicious. Not too much though. Today, I'm going 2 a raw potluck, and I actually made a seaweed dish, which doesn't taste too bad! So, I should b good 2 go, 4 today. Last night we did stretches 4 yoga. No one really showed up, which leads me 2 believe that people R losing interest in this thing. Hopefully, more people will come out 4 the meetings this week, and the holiday party on the 16th, which should b really fun.
31950, RE: DAY 12-From Skai
Posted by ya Setshego, Sun Dec-11-05 05:37 PM
Peace and Love!

Skai here!

How is everyone doing? This Raw Challenge is really getting easier for me. It is getting effortless to eat this way. I feel good and energized. However, some nights I collapse as soon as I get home for a few hours and then wake up late night. This past week, was fantastic!

On Wednesday, Dr Ian Noel spoke to the group (30 attended) about Health and healing. Everyone loved him and we are planning to bring him back to The Yabba Pot to speak again in the near future. For those of you interested in contacting him or making an appointment, please call Universal Healing Services at 410-566-5692.

On Friday, seven of us went to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. It was great! And it really wasnt a challenge at all. I think the servers were challenged more than we were. We had the Thai Lettuce Wraps...minus the Chicken, the noodles, etc. And the Bruschetta minus the bread, add romaine leaves. The presentation at the Cheesecake Factory is absolutely fantastic! They are so dramatic and their portions are ridiculous. For the entree, we all had a variation of the Luau Salad, but we all added extra things like sundried tomatoes, avocados, pine nuts, etc. And most of us had the Peanut Thai dressing. The conversation was interesting, the company was great, it was a nice time! We missed you! Kelly can you email me the pictures so I can post them!

Saturday, Just two of us showed up at Sankofa for the Body Movement class with Baba Kauna. I felt great afterward!

This week:

Monday, Dec 12th, 7 pm – The Yabba Pot DownTown – 771 Washington Blvd - $10

REFLECTIONS: We are half way there!

* Raw Food UnCooking with Skai - The Vegan Diva!

* Weigh-in

* Info on Joining The Village: A Natural Food Co-Operative…And More!

Wednesday, Dec 14th, 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washinton Blvd - $5

LIVE ENZYMES!!

* Learn how to create Indoor winter sprouting garden with ADAM KANDEL

* Adam will be bringing some live! Sprouts to sell

Friday, Dec 16th, 7 pm – The Yabba Pot DownTown- $5 or bring produce to juice

JUICING PARTY!

Come on yall, let juice and dance the night away! Bring some produce to juice. We may need some volunteers to bring their juicers, so we can have enough! Also, bring a musical instrument resembling the drum and we can make some rhythm!

Sunday, Dec 18th, 7 AM –Leakin Park

GROUP BRISK WALK

Wednesday, Dec 21st, Winter Solstice - 6pm - The Yabba Pot - 771 Washington Blvd - $15

FAST ENDS!

* Grand Raw Dinner @ The Yabba Pot.

* Weigh-in
31951, i gotta get to dc.
Posted by MizSoulRebelle, Tue Dec-13-05 11:25 AM
asap.

guidance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"they taught us to pray with our eyes closed and when we opened them, they had our land and we had their bible" ~ muta
31952, RE: Where R U located?
Posted by ya Setshego, Tue Dec-13-05 12:00 PM
Yabba is in Baltimore though. There R some people from DC participating, though.
31953, wayyyy down in houston.
Posted by MizSoulRebelle, Wed Dec-14-05 10:07 PM
guidance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"they taught us to pray with our eyes closed and when we opened them, they had our land and we had their bible" ~ muta
31954, RE: DAY 13 Dec. 12th
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Dec-12-05 11:19 AM
2DAY I'm pretty hungry. I attended a raw potluck last night, where I had, mango pudding, cilantro dip, squash soup, the sea collards I made(which were pretty good, if I do say so myself), purple cabbage, whitish/yellow sweet potato chips, mango, and pineapple-coconut smoothie. After all that food too, we all agreed that we still hungry. x( I fessed up that I intended to swing by One World 4 some chili afterwards, only 4 them 2 break it 2 me that they CLOSE @ 5:30p.m. on Sundays! DRAT! Only 9 more days 2 go. I priced Champion juicers, btw. They run around $200 here.
31955, does that juicer include extra functions?
Posted by Allah, Mon Dec-12-05 03:10 PM
I just have the "evil store" juicer.
31956, RE: Yeah,
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Dec-12-05 03:14 PM
and is this Token in your avatar? The Champion makes nut pate, spaghetti, and ice cream. I'm feeling weak 2day. I think I'm having low blood sugar. Tried 2 go 2 YabbaII, 4 lunch but they R closed. I just veered off, so I could get my glucose levels up. Dr. Noel said he suspected that some of us weren't getting a high enough caloric intake on this fast. I need 2 get an appt. w/ him, so I can figure out how 2 do this thing HEALTHFULLY, instead of 'willy-nilly', hit-or-miss.
31957, RE: Days 14 & 15, 12/13 & 14/05
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Dec-14-05 10:11 AM
Yesterday I had veggies on toasted wheat bread from Quiznos(I know the bread was wrong, but it was toasted, and warm, so I was lovin' it(c)-LB)
I also had Lynda Carter's jerk burger from Yabba I.
2day, I ate the rest of the jerk burger, plus some kale, carrot tuna and thai live. I'll attend the YabbaFast event 2night on sprouting, w/ Adam Kandel.
I dreamt last night that I was in PRISON. W/ no way out. I don't know if that was my subconscious making a statement about my job, or not.
31958, RE: rawsoul.com recipes.
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Dec-14-05 11:07 AM
RECIPES FROM RAW SOUL’S
LIVE BRUNCH LUCK
September 25, 2004

Orange Blossom Salad by Wanda Peace
Special Equipment: None
Allow 2 to 3 servings per orange

Ingredients:
Oranges thinly sliced – 1/8 to ¼ in thick
Orange flower water to taste (found in La Cuisine in Alexandria, VA)
Raspberries
Cinnamon
One can decorate with any contrasting color fruit such as other berries, pomegranate seeds, or coconut

In a mixing bowl sprinkle oranges with orange flower water.
Arrange orange slices on a plate, decorate with berries, pomegranate seeds or coconut Sprinkle with cinnamon.

Refrigerated for several hours, or served immediately

Betty Hood’s Herbal Guacamole
Special Equipment: Food Processor
Servings: 10-15

Ingredients:
3 cups of avocados
½ cup of onions chopped,
1 1/2 teaspoons of kelp
¼ cup of olive oil
1 teaspoon of celtic salt
2 teaspoons of Nama Shoyu
2 teaspoons of Jalepenos chopped
¼ cup of fresh mint (finely chopped)
¼ cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
¼ cup of fresh parsley (finely chopped)

*Mix all ingredients and process them for a few minutes to get a creamy well-mixed texture. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Onion Bread Adapted from Lynda Carter’s Recipe
Presented by: Ayanna Special Equipment: Food Processor

Ingredients:
2 cups of soaked almonds,
1 ½ - 2 whole onions chopped,
2 tablespoons of molasses,
Celtic Sea Salt or Nama Shoyu to taste

Process all ingredients in a food processor and place the mixture in an 8” pan with olive oil coating. Dehydrate at 110 degrees until top is dry and bread-like. Cut into bite-size pieces and flip. Place back in the dehydrator and dry until other side is ready.

Pumpkin Seed Cheese from Juliano’s Raw –the Uncooked Book
Presented by: Ayanna Special Equipment: Blender

Ingredients:
2 cups of soaked pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of parsley leaves
1 teaspoon of Jalepeno
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/3 cup of olive oil
½ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Blend all of the ingredients in a blender until creamy.
Keeps 2 days in the refrigerator.

Buckwheat Cereal
Presented by: Mark Special Equipment: Food Processor, Blender
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
2 cups of soaked buckwheat oats
7 bananas
1 cup of soak water from raisins
¼ cup raw carob powder
½ teaspoons of sea salt
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
*Add seed milk to taste.

Seed Milk
Ingredients:
1 cup of pumpkin seeds (soaked)
1/2 cup of flame raisins
32 ounces of filtered water
Cinnamon to taste
*Blend and strain through a nut milk bag.

Process all ingredients in a food processor and serve immediately or will keep for up to 3 days.

Nori Rolls
Presented by: Tracie Special Equipment: None
Special Equipment: None
Servings: 7-10

1 pack (7 sheets) Dried nori sheets cut into 4 squares
1 Red bell pepper thinly sliced into strips
1 Jalepeno pepper chopped
1 Cucumber thinly sliced into strips
1 Avocados sliced into strips
Sun-dried tomato paste
Cilantro chopped finely
Dash of olive oil.

Roll vegetables in nori squares in the combinations that suit you best! Be sure to moisten the nori squares with a dab of olive oil to help them stick. Allow to stand for approximately 1 hour then serve.
31959, RE: Day 16, Dec. 15
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-15-05 01:07 PM
Recipe from vegsoul@yahoogroups.com:

Organic Live Pasta with ChiSensational Sauce (Created by Harold Goodridge)

Live Pasta
2 large Zucchini
2 large Yellow Squash
ChiSensational Sauce

Process zucchini and squash with a Saladacco (Spiral Slicer). In a bowl place the live pasta in a bowl and add three cups of ChiSensational Sauce and mix until well blended. Cover the bowl and marinate the mixture for five minutes before serving. Serves 5 to 6.

ChiSensational Sauce (Makes 5 Cups)
1 cup Raw tahini
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chopped
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves chopped
1 teaspoon Herbmere Seasoning
1 cup pinenuts (soak in fresh water for 20 minutes)
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons miso
Juice from one lemon
1 cup spring water

Place the drained soaked pinenuts in the food processor. Process the pinenuts until finely grounded. Add the chopped basil leaves and rosemary leaves, Herbmere seasoning, olive oil, tahini, coconut oil, miso, lemon juice, and water. Process until well blended.
##########################################################

Notes from last night's sprouting class w/ Adam Kandel

His company: B-More Sprouting
Live & Local Organic Sprouts
Free Delivery in the Balt. area
410-426-4850
cosmcduty@yahoo.com

He became interested in the sprouting business through reading the manual from the Hippocrates Institute in FL, which is an alternative healing institute Skai's mother attended when she was dying of cancer. They promote sprouting, as the key 2 health.
Alkaline: Sprouting is a way 2 pump alkalinity in2 the body 2 counteract the acidity. Dis-ease cannot survive in an alkaline, highly oxygenated environment, which is why/how Lance Armstrong was able 2 beat his cancer.
Raw greens & lemons R powerful alkaline foods.
Meats R highly acidic. All cooked foods have a level of acidity 2 them.
RECOMMENDED BOOK: The Sprouting Book-Anne Wigemore(the same 1 Aris mentioned as 1 of his major influences @ VegSoul)
Sprouting has ancient origins. Captain Hook used sprouting as a healing method 2 counteract scurvy, when men of other ships were dying in droves from the disease, his men had a high survival rate during the epidemic.
Can b done anytime of the year. Inside or outside.
Can sprout nuts, seeds, & grains.
Lentil sprouts R as rich in protein as meat. 6 cups of lentil sprouts=the TOTAL amt. of protein needed in 1 day.
Refrigerate sprouts AFTER they have fully sprouted.
Bigger nuts & beans have an 8-12 hr. soak-time.
Alfalfa seeds should soak 4 4-hrs.
Enzyme inhibitors R released during sprouting, bringing it 2 life, activating the enzymes in the food, that work towards cell growth & regeneration in the body.
24-hrs.: The time 1 should Leave the top off a jug or canister of tap H20 2 give it time 2 burn off the chlorine, b-4 using it in sprouting, drinking, etc. All tap H20 contains chlorine.
Fill a preserves jar 2X as full as the amt. of sprouts placed in it. Let the sprouts soak. Dump off sprout H20, & fill jar again. Put on a wooden rack(from Ikea) + use Ball-wide mouth jars from the supermarket.
Alfalfa & red clover need 2 have the hull removed b/c it becomes contaminated from bacteria, & can go bad.
Get organic seeds from the health food store. Bean sprouts get bitter after 2-3 days.
Wheat berry seeds grow in2 wheatgrass, which can be juiced for "shots".
Mungbean sprouts can be grown using an automatic sprouter, which gives them bulk, and length.
Put a screen(mesh) over the mouth of the jar, and shake the hulls out. Scoop hulls off, which cannot be shaken loose.
Can fill in bowl or bucket to separate from hull.
Get sprouts as green as possible b4 eating.
Soak sunflower seeds 4 6-hrs.
Get carbohydrates of grain in raw form + protein, through sprouting.
Mung bean & adzuki beans req. pressure, so use an automatic sprouter 4 them($40-80 from FreshLife<on-line>)
Store unsprouted seeds & nuts in a dry, dark place, so there's no activation @ all.
Sunflower sprouts R yellow & black, b4 turning completely green.
MORE RECOMMENDED BOOKS: Hippocrates Health Manual-Bryan Clemente
The Sprout Garden-Mark Braunstein
Sprouts: The Miracle Food-The Complete Guide To Sprouting-Steve Merkowitz
The Joy of Living Live(2005)-Zakhah<available through Everlasting Life>
Raw Food Made Easy-Jennifer Cornbleet
hydroponics-The cultivation of plants in water containing dissolved nutrients
Sprouts can b grown hydroponically, or in soil.
Provide no direct sunlight 2 them.
U can obtain organic seeds from Meyer's Seed Co.
Go 2 Home Depot 4 top soil.
Add in kelp meal(ground up kelp, w/ the salt removed, which is bad 4 sprout growth). Use liquid seaweed fertilizer. These all create a strong & healthy sprout.
WEBSITES: www.sunorganicfarms.com
www.sproutpeople.com
Cover sunflower seeds w/ another tray 2 simulate the darkness of underground.
If U don't have a juicer as yet, get a GreenStar, or Omega Juicer, b/c they have a sprouting fxn. on them.
****Young thai coconuts R available from the Asian International Market on Route 40(BALT), or 300 Morse ST, NE D.C.(hrs. M-S 4A.-3P.)

31960, RE: YabbaFast
Posted by ya Setshego, Mon Dec-19-05 03:12 PM
I've returned to cooked food, about 40%. I'm about 2 fast from solid foods for the Winter Soltice & Kwanzaa, so I felt I needed something filling for a few days before then. Actually, the day after the solstice is when I'll begin, since the raw feast ending this fast is on the actual day of the solstice.
I did want 2 share some ideas 4 winter foods to eat, 4 bulk & substance, though: Parsnips, Turnips, & Spaghetti Squash.
31961, RE: Day 21, Dec. 20th
Posted by ya Setshego, Tue Dec-20-05 05:04 PM
I'm back sinking again, as opposed to floating. No doubt that's from the cooked food I've been eating. I've fallen off my 7p.-3a. sleep schedule too. I will be able 2 do much better w/ this diet once I get a decent juicer. Anyway, here's some solstice tips for those still willing to fight the good fight:

Institute of Whole Life Healing

“many paths one truth”

With the Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful and in the Presence of Our Ancestors, Both Seen and Unseen.

December 12, 2005

Dear Spiritual Family:

I pray this note finds you in the best of health and spirits. This past year had been a year of tremendous growth for all of us. We have witnessed massive initiatory experiences happen on the earth, of which Katrina and Tsunami stands out. However we can never forget the constant killings (physical, mental and spiritual) of human life and spirit all around us, which we accept as a part of our regular daily life. However, we must always ask ourselves is this the life that God intends, and deep in the recesses of your soul you will receive the answer “it is not”, thus giving you one of the reasons you are seeking to walk this spiritual path. We must always give thanks for our spiritual journey for we could be walking away from the light as oppose to walking towards it.

While we all have endured some “serious” challenges this past year, I am sure in your private reflections you will see the good and the growth such challenges have brought into your life. While Iya and myself fully realize that we can only assist you in your growth and development, it is you who must find your path and walk it. As we move into another year, it is our prayer that your walk becomes clearer and your faith stronger for all is in divine order.

It is and will always be our intention to move and live in harmony with the rhythms of the universe. That being said, as you know we are coming upon the “winter solstice”, a very auspicious time in our solar system. While most of our time will be spent preparing for family and friends, you may want to consider setting aside time to take advantage of the tremendous spiritual energy that will be available during the four days of the solstice.

According to Ra Un Nefer Amen I, Shekhem Ur Shekhem of the Ausar/Auset Society:
“During the tropic of Capricorn, December 21-24 is an excellent time to impregnate your mind and energize your thoughts.” You see, from March 21 to September 21 our thoughts grow and have power. After September 21st the power of our thoughts “Begin to Fall” and they actually die between October 21st and December 21st. Yes we are thinking all the time but do we have new and powerful thoughts during this period? From June 21st we begin to loose day light and the darkest period is December 24th, on December 25th we begin to gain more day light and this continues until June 21st. This is one reason the Ancients celebrated December 25th as the return of “light”. In a symbolic sense it also reflects the return of light i.e., energy to our dead thoughts. Light has returned to “save” our dead, stagnate thoughts i.e., the birth of the savior.

During the period of December 21st to December 25th the degree at which the sun’s energy strikes the earth is different on one half of the equator and the other half. During this four day period the sun rises at the same time, or one can say the earth stands still in its positioning of its self from one half of the equator to the other, this is known as the summer solstice ( June 21st to June 24th) and winter solstice (December 21st to December 24th). It is during this four (4) day period that we can gain tremendous spiritual insight as well as plant spiritual seeds for the next six months.

This solstice four day period comes during the waning moon cycle. It is a time for focusing your intentions on releasing unhealthy habits, relationships, addictions, negative behaviors and emotions and is highlighted by fasting (cleansing), prayer, meditation, solitude and reflection. Most of all one must pay close attention to the foods (physical, mental and spiritual) that they ingest during this period. If you can, during this time period, go on a private quiet retreat, sleeping as much as possible and pay close attention to your dreams. Living in the west it is difficult for us to do so, because so many of us have to work and care for family. As a result we advise you to do the best you can without putting self under undue stress and strain for to do so will only negate the purpose of the solstice fast. Cut back on heavy and acidic foods, avoid the radio, T.V. or night life activities during this period, sleep as much as possible, journal daily and be in bed by 10:00 pm.

This is a time for cleansing and the following cleansing practices will help to enhance and heighten your spiritual sensitivity during this solstice period. During this season the primary organs that we will focus on are the kidneys, bladder, womb and muscles. These organs are associated with the element of water and correspond to our emotional body. Allow yourself to release and cleanse old, stagnate fear based emotions in a safe and healthy way and affirm daily that “all that is not for my highest good be kept as far away from me as the east is from the west and the north from the south”. Use carnelian, amber or coral gemstones to aid in freeing stagnant energies.

To assist in detoxing and cleansing your physical body, drink several cups of red clover tea and 8 glasses of purified water with lemon daily. Burdock root is good for purifying your kidneys and blood to improve circulation. Dandelion root or leaves helps promote the excretion of fluids from your body. Each evening soak your body for a minimum of 20 minutes in a tub of water as hot as you can stand filled with Epsom or Dead Sea salt and add oils of clary sage, sandalwood, eucalyptus, rose or jasmine to further assist in releasing toxins and impurities.

For those of you who choose not to fast from food during this cleansing time we recommend a Kitchari diet which is a relatively simple stew of basmati rice, herbs and spices, ghee for lubrication and assimilation and split mung dal. The Kitchari cleansing fasting diet below utilizes the primary foods in the Ayurvedic cleansing therapy, because of their ease of digestion and assimilation. Eat daily plenty of fresh juicy melon fruits in the morning and during the day, and add plenty of green leafy vegetables along with chicory and dandelion leaves, cucumbers, beets, onions and garlic to your midday and evening kitchari meal.

Mung Dal Kitchari

1 cup yellow mung dal
1 cup of basmati rice
1 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped fine
1 small handful fresh cilantro leaves
½ cup water
3 tablespoons of ghee
1 ½ inch piece of cinnamon bark
5 whole cloves
5 whole cardamom pods
10 black peppercorns
3 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon turmeric
¼ teaspoon salt
6 cups water
½ cup coconut milk

Wash the mung dal and rice until water is clear. Soaking the dal for an hour or overnight helps with cooking time and digestion. In a blender, put the ginger, coconut, cilantro and ½ cup water and blend until liquefied.

Heat a large saucepan on medium heat and add the ghee, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and bay leaves. Stir for a moment until fragrant. Add the blended items to the spices, then the turmeric and salt. Stir until brown.

Stir in mung dal and rice and mix well. Pour in the 6 cups of water, ½ cup of coconut milk, cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes then turn down the heat to very low and cook, lightly covered, until dal and rice are soft, about 25 – 30 minutes. Feel free to add additional spices such as coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek and garlic.

Have a blessed solstice,
Iya Osunnike and Baba Koleoso

31962, RE: today is the last day
Posted by ya Setshego, Wed Dec-21-05 11:11 AM
I'm kind of used 2 going 4 the raw now though. Like, @ our holiday breakfast this morn., I just ate fruit, no bagels. That was a step in the right direction 4 me. Now next week, I already know I'll b eating cooked food @ the holiday luncheon, b/c we're going 2 Double T Diner, which has the homemade mashed potatoes w/o butter & margarine, that I love. I'm cool though. I have collected the recipes I've shared w/ U all, and plan on experimenting, just like some of U said U would. I'm grateful that some of U out there R interested in being a part of the Raw Foods movement, even if on a trial or part-time basis. It's also commendable 2 see people take + steps towards their health.
31963, RE: YabbaFast
Posted by ya Setshego, Thu Dec-22-05 01:43 PM
About 10-12 individuals ended up finishing up the YabbaFast last night, @ ranges of 50-100% raw. Skai plans on doing another LiveFast 4 the vernal equinox. I shall keep U all posted on updates regarding it.
31964, VegSoul06 Info
Posted by ya Setshego, Fri Dec-23-05 10:37 AM
They raised the price! :(

Health & Nature Retreat to
Jungle Bay Resort & Spa
Dominica, West Indies!

April 11-16, 2006

Jungle Bay Resort & Spa, located in Delices, Dominica
$995 US* includes 6 days/5 nights hotel double occupancy stay, meals,
workshops, ground transportation, day trips
$200.US deposit - limited space available

Register Online

Featuring Classes & Demonstrations by:

Aris Latham
Raw Food Master Chef

• SUNFIRE Live Food Workshops:
Learn to release your creative culinary energy! Feast on delectable tropical live food meals (and lessons) from the best live food chef in the world!

Dr. Sunyatta Amen
Naturopathic Physician

• Sexual Tai Chi:
Learn the ancient healing exercises for men and women through Sexual Taoist Yoga. Women will learn to use the Jade Egg as well. Men will do the Jade Dragon exercises.

• Belly Dance for Womb Health:
Heal or avoid fibroids, hot flashes, PMS, cramps while getting that hourglass shape you desire.

• "World Beat" Beach Workout:
"Get your sweat on" with saucy belly dance, hula, reggae, salsa and samba.

Khepere Anu
Mechanical Engineer, Yoga & Capoeira Angola Practitioner

• Intro to Capoeira Angola (Afro-Brazilian martial art):
Capoeira Angola is an African based martial-art combining dance and music. The enslaved Africans in Brazil used Capoeira Angola as a form of revolution. This workshop will explore some basic movements of Capoeira Angola to help promote strength, conditioning, flexibility, and agility.

• Yoga for Mind, Body and Soul:
Unwind your city stress and increase your flexibility all in one.

Amensa Shep Teker
Qi Gong Instructor

• Self Healing Massage:
The Self Healing massage is a set of exercises that address several issues with energy level, joint stiffness, poor circulation, headaches, eye problems, digestive issues, etc. Several massaging techniques are applied to areas of the body that correspond to the body’s major meridian systems, organs and nervous pathways. Using these techniques will result in increased focus, deeper sleep, clear mind, and restore youthful energy.

• Het Heru Qigong:
Het Heru Qigong is a Qigong that is specifically designed to release tension and restore power to the organs, brain, nervous system, especially female health issues. Qigong is based on the Ancient Taoist teachings of the great Bhoddhidharma (DaMo) who was responsible for bringing Qigong and medical techniques to China from Black India. Tree of Life Qigong encompasses Physical, Sound and Visual movements. Qigong, if practiced consistently can bring relief of most major illnesses that western science has not found effective ways of healing.
Qigong works on developing Mind- Qi Body-Jieng Spirit-Shen Harmonizing them into one body allows the devout practitioner to realize both spiritual and physical changes of astronomical proportions.

Terri Henry
Message Therapist and Eco-educator

• Massage Therapy:
Massage therapy, one of the oldest healing arts, has proven beneficial for many chronic conditions, including arthritis, hypertension, diabetes, hormonal imbalance, depression, and more.

• Ecopsychology:
Ecopsychology is a unification of ecology and psychology, a marriage which celebrates our connection to nature. Terri will show through a series of simple activities we can learn to regain an appreciation and respect for the sacredness of nature.

And other invited instructors covering:
• Holistic Dentistry for a Truly Healthy Mouth and Body- Dr. Terry Victor, DDS
• Diagnostic Techniques in Alternaive Medicine - Dr. Kamau Kokayi, MD

VegSoul Itinerary:

Sunday, April 9th*
3:00 pm - tropical fruit refreshment
4:00 pm - meet & greet
5:00 pm - orientation
6:00 pm - dinner

Monday, April 10th*
5:00 am - nature walk
7:00 am - yoga/qi gong
9:00 am - breakfast
10:00 am - nature activity or kitchen rotation
1:00 pm - lunch
2:00 pm - nature activity or kitchen rotation

Tuesday, April 11th
10:00 am - nature activity/kitchen rotation
2:00 pm - 2nd check in
3:00 pm - meet & greet w/ refreshments
5:00 pm - 2nd orientation
7:00 pm - guided meditation

Wednesday, April 12th
10:00 am - nature activity/dance workshop/kitchen rotation
3:00 pm - nature activity/dance workshop/kitchen rotation
7:00 pm - guided meditation

Thursday, April 13th
3:00 pm - nature activity/dance workshop/kitchen rotation
7:00 pm - full moon meditation

Friday, April 14th (Coconut Water Fasting Day)
8:00 am - yoga/qi gong
10:00 am - nature activity
7:00 pm - fasting meditation

Saturday, April 15th (Royal Feast Day)
3:00 pm - nature activity/dance workshop
6:00 pm - dinner & entertainment

Sunday, April 16th
8:00 am - breakfast
9:00 am - healing circle
10:00 am - depart for airport with box lunch

*days with asterisks are for 7 day program
- The order within this itinerary may vary slightly or greatly to suit the needs of the group or
if circumstances warrant change. Weather may be unpredictable and may cause delays
or cancellation of flights or activities. If appropriate, we may add other local activities or
ceremonies as time permits.