Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectAsk Willona Woods
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31578&mesg_id=31712
31712, Ask Willona Woods
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Oct-26-05 08:32 AM
The other day there was a pretty decent episode of Good Times when a mutual friend was getting married but Willona decided she did not want to go. If you've never seen the TV show Willona lives across the hall from the Evans family. She is a close friend, and visits often -- almost every episode as a matter of fact. She represents the single, self-sufficient, divorced, childless Black woman. She is attractive, socially active and she chooses to be single (and childless).

Anyway, Willona complains to Florida and James Evans about being harassed at weddings (because she is single) and chooses to stay home. Florida schemes to hook her best friend up at the wedding in the hopes that she will get married. Willona goes along and has a good time with the guy but she pulls Florida aside to explain to her that marriage is out of the question for her. She is alone sometimes "but never lonely." They come to an understanding and Florida learns to mind her business.

Those of us that watched the show know that Willona eventually adopts a child but that did not change who she was or represented. I can say that her character effected me on some level. She was outspoken, knew who she was and how she wanted to live her life. I was in awe of Willona and now, as an adult, I can see why. In retrospect, Good Times offered a range of characters, some were well-rounded and some were very stereotypical.

I posted this because I feel it is relevant to the discussion.

>1. Do we REALLY need a man, if we are financially stable,
>have our own homes, already have children(or don't want any),
>and I guess know how to go to Rite Aid for batteries when need
>be? LOL!

Many women like Willona Woods become part of other families. They get in relationships with men when they need to but refuse to compromise what makes them feel comfortable or safe. They have the same needs as other women but get these needs met in other ways.

The other thing I noticed was that until she adopted Penny Willona never invited others in her space. She babysat at the Evanses, visited at the Evanses, went other places with the Evanses but kept her home/life private.