Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Not true.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=31578&mesg_id=31675
31675, RE: Not true.
Posted by Moonlit_Force, Sun Oct-23-05 05:15 PM
>A Black woman will give birth to a Black child, no matter
>WHAT the father is. So, the child would be Black, and whatever
>else, but it WOULD be Black.

I'd like to point out that the one drop mentality illustrated here is a volatile one to throw around half hazardly. As a product of a dominican and west indian union I've gained a lot from being identified as and self identifying as "black" but I've always, and will always come across instances where my dominican heritage comes into play and makes me question if what I'm gaining is worth entirely what I'm denying.<--- this isnt an asnwer and isnt meant to be one. It's a statement embodying a question which is meant to reflect that anyone proposing to have the answer, isnt taking into account everyone's experience.

I think this post is extremely valid, moreover, a crucial collection of issues black women need to discuss. Being raised by a single biracial mother who Identified herself as black, much in the same way I am, has definitely helped shape my views on the issues raised here. I DO think black women are better off, I have only my fmily for reference but it's very telling. Grandmothers, aunts, my mother, my female cousins and nieces are ALL considerably further than their male counterparts including me, and if I may be so bold, I aint bad. It's been said that black males NEED a male role model. I dont hold that as truth. I agree that it would be beneficial, but the females in my family more than compensated. Moreover they led me to see my role in society as one that transcends both race and gender. That doesnt mean they dont have ties to black nationalism-for example, my mother accepts my bisexuality AND STILL prefers that I end up with a black woman. The problem is, I've only encountered three black women who were able to see what was before them and not get caught up on the fact that I'm open to love in all its forms between two consenting adults. These women are few and far between, but were some of the highlights of my romantic past and are still highlights in my friendships. My mother even admits that had any of the black men (all she dates) admitted homosexuality she'd be unable to continue the relationship- this helps my case, of course.

And since I'm talking about Queerdom, I will say first hand that I've never been propositioned more than when I lived in predominantly black residential areas. Queer whites that date black men are primarily composed of fetishists looking to play out their racial stereotypes and only make up a small fraction of the gay white male %-age. The dating scene in the queer community is about as segregated as the scene between black females and white men. 80% DLs does "sound" inflated, but it doesnt surprise me at all.