Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti don't know who you're reading
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=27708&mesg_id=27799
27799, i don't know who you're reading
Posted by LexM, Mon May-02-05 03:40 PM
but i'd like to see some of their maps/conclusions. you're contradicting quite a bit of the afrocentric (not to mention "regular") history i've come across.

>Egypt only allowed Greeks in... hence the mystery school
>systems...

egypt allowed everybody in. traders, etc.
yes, things differ depending on the time period you're talking about, but still...

i'd have to come back to cite a few sources, but egypt was, except in the earliest times, a sort of cultural crossroads. particularly lower (northern) egypt. different "races" had possession of the monarchy at different times, etc.

e.g., we used to swear one of my teachers in h.s. up & down that cleopatra was black. he told us she was, if anything, 1/2 black and 1/2 greek. we called bullshit. since i've actually studied african history, i now realize he was probably right, given the time period when she ruled. not that there weren't many, many other obviously black queens/pharoahs. she just probably wasn't one of them.

would she be considered "black" if we saw her on the street today? maybe. i'm just trying to point out the fluidity of the situation.

you also have to figure out what you're classifying as egypt. that can also differ significantly depending on the time period/dynasty you're talking about.

>they did not allow people in the way movies depict... Egypt
>was basically a huge university... and Ethiopia was untrekked
>land...

right. a huge university. anyone could study there.

*parts* of ethiopia (as we know it today) were "untrekked". other parts were not. there were wars fought, invasions, etc. plus, ethiopia borders water. trade routes.

the traditional borders of modern egypt, sudan, and ethiopia were defined by the cataracts in some way or another up until the division of africa w/ the rise of slavery/colonization.

>so this isn't true at all... your talking about a trek from
>Europe across Africa into E. Africa... on foot... was not
>happening. They would have gotten dealt with long before they
>arrived.

i'm not talking about europe. nothing in the bible--to my knowledge--took place that far north. but certainly you have to consider the middle east & the mediterranean. and some of those people are very "white"-looking.

and many ppl traveled by other means than on foot.

...and how do you mean "dealt with?" african society/culture has always, to some degree, been quite inclusive. it's been part of the nature of our downfall, to hear some tell it.

after the migrations and the fall of some of the great african civilizations (egypt/kemet, nubia, etc.), yes, there were groups determined to keep "white" and other folks out. but that inclination took centuries of warfare & conflict to manifest. generally, there was sort of a "come on in!" policy loooong before christ came on the scene. so imagine what it must have looked like by the time he got there.

again, i'm not disagreeing w/ you totally, but you seem to have a rather skewed idea of what these areas looked like by the time christ was born.