Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectfrom the AP story.... silencer used ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=26632&mesg_id=26633
26633, from the AP story.... silencer used ...
Posted by Fiver, Fri Mar-04-05 07:24 AM
Friday, February 25, 2005 Posted: 11:18 AM EST (1618 GMT)

Hunter S. Thompson

ASPEN, Colorado (AP) -- The widow of journalist Hunter S. Thompson said her husband killed himself while the two were talking on the phone.

"I was on the phone with him, he set the receiver down and he did it. I heard the clicking of the gun," Anita Thompson told the Aspen Daily News in Friday's editions.

She said her husband had asked her to come home from a health club so they could work on his weekly ESPN column -- but instead of saying goodbye, he set the telephone down and shot himself.

Thompson said she heard a loud, muffled noise, but didn't know what had happened. "I was waiting for him to get back on the phone," she said.

(Her account to Rocky Mountain News reporter Jeff Kass is slightly different: "I did not hear any bang," she told Kass. She added that Thompson's son, who was in the house at the time, believed that a book had fallen when he heard the shot, according to Kass' report.).....