Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectMore on Self-sufficiency & the Net
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=25013&mesg_id=25098
25098, More on Self-sufficiency & the Net
Posted by Nettrice, Wed Mar-07-01 10:37 AM
Actually, I am in agreement that technology is periphery to personal development and "Nation building" in the larger sense. However, I do think the mastery of tools is critical in becoming self-sufficient whether one is changing a tire, building a house or developing a Net portal or Web site. Learning to use these tools or do these projects is important, part of one's toolbox or skills. Being able to use these tools provides more options and that leads to economic self-sufficiency, more control over one's life, better ability to contribute, etc.

Becoming an Internet service provider requires high-speed Internet access. Part of any community or nation is communication/networking. One could purchase a big server, other equipment and software and, with the high-speed connection, serve members of their community-- become a small ISP. This is the same as buying land, getting a permit from the local government to build a school, and buying all the materials/supplies to build the school.

Self-sufficiency requires competency, expertise and experience. It requires knowing how to work the system in order to transcend the system. If the Nation wants to grow, organically, it needs to support and attract people with the right mindset and with the skills/knowledge in order to build a network or a school or anything else.

"Know thyself"

"Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, "I will never leave you or forsake you". So we may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not fear. What can man do to me?"
-- Hebrews 13:5,6

"There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path"
--Morpheus in "The Matrix"

"It's our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"- Dumbledore to Harry Potter "Chamber of Secrets"