Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Black School/White School Prejudices
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=23098&mesg_id=23104
23104, RE: Black School/White School Prejudices
Posted by nappiness, Wed Jul-19-00 09:49 AM
the black/white school debate always intrigues me. i attended the university of iowa for both my undergrad. and grad. studies however i attended summer school at howard univ. and i have visited numerous HBCU's.
a. most hbcu's were founded by white folks.
b. i was a speech pathology/audiology major as an undergrad. i didn't have many options at hbcu's for this field.
c. money, i went where the money was. white schools offered me loot so i went.
d. b/c my mother and upbringing had instilled in me Black heritage and love for self and my people, i didn't need to go to a hbcu to find myself, i already knew who i was.
e. resources, iowa was a big ten school and one of the top research institutions in this country. therefore, the resources were vast and many of the opportunities i had to travel/study abroad i would not have had at a hbcu.
f. with all i've said in mind that doesn't mean that i have anything against hbcu's. i love the pride and sincerity that most hbcu alums have.
g. i am not better than anyone that went to a hbcu its all based upon personal decision. though i don't regret going to iowa, getting a degree from that school was more than a piece of paper. the mental anguish that many of us experienced was fucked up. many of the Black students and faculty suffer from depression and leave iowa all jacked up mentally. i am a stronger person b/c i went to iowa however my dislike of white folks is so strong b/c of that environment. an outlet was 3-4 hours away so we didn't escape often.
k. you eat, breathe, sleep, and study white folks day in and day out. your home is your haven. i was the only Black person in my undergrad. major and it wasn't easy at all.
So Black school vs. White school both has cons both has pros!!!!!!

Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness