Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwhat are we gonna do about it?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22778&mesg_id=22784
22784, what are we gonna do about it?
Posted by k_orr, Tue Aug-01-00 12:33 PM
I don't even look to hip hop as a tool for revolution.

I remember in high school, plenty of folks knew the words to 911 is a Joke. I don't think anyone got it.

Even at the highest heights of conscious hip hop, folks singing along, rocking the fashion, they still didn't get it.

But what I personally do, because I am concerned with my local black and brown community

1. I was a professional counselor for a while - I got burnt out, cause the management was more interested in #'s than actual progress. I am now suspicious of any type of non-profit agency as a result. Reading the Fountain Head didn't help.

2. I am a tutor at my local library. - I spend one hour a week teaching 5th graders about fractions. I actually think the kids feel me more cause I'm a young black man as opposed to being a Steve Urkel (i'm actually more of a Stefan, but we can go there later)

3. I pull cats that I know are messing up aside and talk to them. Cats that are doing well, I big em up, and have their back.

4. I stay up on local politics. The kind of elections and votes that could be swayed by 100 votes.

5. I personally avoid bad things to avoid being a statistic. This is one that we should all do.

Hip Hop for me, is a good segue for getting into deeper issues. When I was in radio, we would take time out to speak on issues that affected the black and brown community, whom we misnamed as the core hip hop community.

But as a tool to inspire people, put ideas in their heads...? The average cat isn't looking for a sermon with his beats. It's escapism for blacks and browns. Forget what you heard about Suburban Johnny have ghetto fantasies, ghetto Jamal and Miguel are having those dreams of being a gangsta.

I don't really know what more I can say. I love hip hop, I always have, I always will. But I see hip hop for what it is and was, and what it really says to people. 5% out of 100 might be getting something else from hip hop other than momentary emotional response.

And those 5% were already, ready to recieve.

k. orr