Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Paul the LIAR?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13104&mesg_id=13315
13315, RE: Paul the LIAR?
Posted by osoclasi, Thu Jun-28-01 04:10 AM
Responce: When reading scripture it is important to know whats going on in the entire passage inorder to keep the context of the passage. So what's going on Paul is talking to the Jews of his time who thought that they would be saved just because they were Jewish, buts that's not the case.

>In Romans 3:5-8
>But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the
>righteousness of God, what shall
>we say
The God who
>inflicts wrath is not unrighteous,
>is He? (I am speaking
>in human terms.)

Responce: What he is saying here is by contrast that our sin brings out God's rightousness.God's rightousness shows up against the dark background of man's sin. Why? because he does not sin and we do. And the more we sin it reflects the more we need a saviour, also it shows that God is faithful to us even when we are not faithful to him. So Paul is asking do we keep on sinning to show how rightous God is? If that's the case how can God judge because our sin shows his rightousness. Someone might argue that my sin enhances God's truthfulness, This is human reasoning.

>May it never be! For otherwise,
>how will God judge the
>world?

Responce: No way Paul declares for how will God judge the world it that is the case.

>But if through my lie the
>truth of God abounded to
>His glory, why am I
>also still being judged as
>a sinner?

Responce: Now Paul argues this saying if my lie brings Glory to God then why am I being judged as a sinner. He using logic here to disprove the argument.

>And why not say (as we
>are slanderously reported and as
>some claim that we say),
>"Let us do evil that
>good may come"? Their condemnation
>is just.

Responce: That's correct. what Paul's point here is that the more we sin the more of God's grace we recieve, but we don't constantly willfully sin because we are now bought with a price. we have been adopted into God's family and we don't live a lifestyle of constant willful sin.
>
>
>Question: WHY DOES PAUL HAVE TO
>LIE TO PROVE GOD'S GLORY?
>AND WHY DOES HE JUSTIFY
>IT?

Responce: So to wrap it up Paul isn't saying that he has to lie to prove God's glory that's human reasoning. this just shows that God is faithful to us even when were not faithful to him, just as Isreal was.
>