Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Christ: Hanged or Crucified? Surely wasn't crucified!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=13104&mesg_id=13127
13127, RE: Christ: Hanged or Crucified? Surely wasn't crucified!!!
Posted by guest, Mon Jul-02-01 09:22 PM
I don't mean to come in real late in this convo, but I didn't see the answer I was looking for....not to dismiss anyone's input in this subject, but I would like to share with all that read this, not my words, but words that come from encyclopedias and even certain religious books....this may help some to look at this issue of whether the tree being described could of been a cross, and not only that, but where the symbol of the cross came from:

The Imperial Bible-Dictionary:
"The Greek word for cross, (stauros'), properly siginifed a stake, an upright pole, or piece of paling, on which anything might be hung, or which might be used in impaling (fencing in) a piece of ground...Even amongst the Romans the crux (from which our term for cross is derived) appears to have been originally an upright pole."

Perhaps this may do nothing for you, but if it doesn't, consider this next sources as regards to the cross that many hold dearly as the symbol of Christianity:

Encyclopedia Brittanica:
"Various objects, dating from periods long anterior to the Christian era, have been found, marked with crosses of different designs, in almost every part of the old world. India, Syria, Persia, and Egypt have all yielded numberless examples...The use of the cross as a religious symbol in pre-Christian times and among non-Christian peoples may probably be regarded as almost universal, and in very many cases it was connected with some form of nature worship."

A Short History of Sex Worship (1940):
"Various figures of crosses are found everywhere on Egyptian monuments and tombs, and are considered by many authorities as symbolical either of the phallus or of coition."

(Phallus is known as a representation of the male sex organ, properly said)

One more,
An Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words:
"The shape of the cross had its orgin in ancient Chaldea, and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz (being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name) in that country and in adjacent lands, including Egypt. By the middle of the 3rd century, A.D., the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith. In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system, pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross-piece lowered, was adopted to stand for the cross of Christ."

What I get out of this is as much as there seems to be evidence that Christ was crucified, there is even more convincing evidence to show that he was hung or impaled on a upright stake and this symbol of the cross used by many churches today to be the symbol of Christianity may not have a pure meaning as some believe so. This is not meant to belittle anyone's faith, but rather, like myself, unbiased knowledge leads to conscientious decisions and beliefs.

Any questions or disagreements that would like to be presented, either reply back or e-mail me at rbaca@charter.net

Loveout.