Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecton religion:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=10105&mesg_id=10149
10149, on religion:
Posted by somoney, Tue Nov-06-01 11:22 AM
i actually bought this cartoonish book called "how to talk to your child about god." it has all these biblical quotes, explanations and such... i was reared as a christian, sent to church with others, though my mom didn't really go. and when i was old enough to decide the christian life was not for me, my mother's husband MADE me go to church thinking that would curb any sexual thoughts i was having. but southern baptist churches are full of sex! the preacher, if not the choir director, is sleeping with "everyone." the men always want to give you a hello/goodbye hug that lasts way too long... the women wear subtly revealing outfits, and i swear they "get happy" just to expose a breast. wildness. my younger brothers were not required/forced to go to church, knew nothing of the bible... then their school friends started telling them they needed to be saved... they started going to church and enjoyed all the "social" aspects. they went on retreats and such, started preaching the word to me even... i was like please, this church thing is just a phase. and it was...

so i'm saying, i just want to speak with some knowledge on christianity because i have to assume my daughter will be exposed to christian thinking. i can't remember anything "taught" in church, except for psalms... see i don't remember... it's the for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son passage. *shrugs*(© boodaah)

hopefully, i can approach all religions from a historic pov without relying on pure faith...