Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHe gets a fucking ton of criticism, if you're looking for it.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=92425&mesg_id=92473
92473, He gets a fucking ton of criticism, if you're looking for it.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Mon Nov-21-11 03:44 PM
>The end of the San Fran game comes to mind where he had 2
>different oppotunities to do something and he did NOTHING with
>NO sense of urgency whatsoever in a game they coulda won. If
>Sanchez did that we'd still be hearing about it. Stafford
>justs gumps his way to the next week where he played like do
>do again.

I read/post at a few Lions message boards, and Stafford got absolutely MURDERED for the end of that SF game. People posting real reckless like

"He needs to lay off the donuts"

"He was OBVIOUSLY hungover, you could see it on his face"

"He looked so lethargic--is it possible he's addicted to the painkillers he took for his shoulder? I'm just saying."

Just outlandish shit. But if you're only talking about national media, then yeah, it's a New York vs Detroit thing. (Even then, John Lynch straight up said yesterday that the Lions should consider benching him for Shaun Hill.)

>Then comes the Bears game where he was terrible....ah well the
>weather or some shit. Then he plays terrible to start the
>Panthers game, should never have been down like that to that
>team but he comes back and all is forgiven. So if winning is
>all that matters why does Sanchez get shit?? He'll end his
>career with more playoff wins than Stafford if he retired
>today. Its ridiculous the double standard, and yes the media
>market is probably 150% to do with it.

He had a really rough patch there, yeah. Looks like he shook it off nicely. You can't compare wins with these 2 QBs though. Stafford took over The Worst Team in NFL History. Oh-and-sixteen. The Lions defense in 2007-2009 was the worst in NFL history by almost any statistical measure. His offensive line was and still is shit.

Sanchez took over a team with one of the best running games in football, a fucking star-studded offensive line, and a downright beastly defense.

Obviously Sanchez gets more criticism, and it's for two reasons. He plays in New York, and gets all the media attention that comes with it, but he's also been gifted with as good a situation as a young QB could possibly ask for and failed to win a title.

That last part, fair or not, is why people shit on him. PERSONALLY, I think he's done very well. Two AFC title games is absolutely nothing to sneeze at. It would be hard to do much better than that without, you know, winning a Super Bowl. But I still think Stafford is a much better quarterback, and I expect the next 10 years to show that definitively.