Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectA good analysis by Wade Keller after Bret's interview on FNC.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=54540&mesg_id=54853
54853, A good analysis by Wade Keller after Bret's interview on FNC.
Posted by Expertise, Thu Jun-28-07 12:17 AM
Just a reminder. According to WWE's Wellness Policy, prescription drugs (anabolic steroids are a prescription drug) can be found in one's system, but if a prescription is produced by a talent within five days and WWE and the drug testing agency deem the purpose medically justified, the test doesn't count as a failure. Also, wrestlers are allowed to have steroids in their systems at a T/E ratio of 10/1. Natural levels are 1/1. Anything above a 4/1 ratio calls for a retest. It's not clear whether the wrestler would have time to "clear his system" back down to a 4/1 ratio or less for the retest. The Olympic committee considers a 6/1 ratio a failure.

I bring this up because nobody on cable news is doing even the most cursory of preparation of research for these interviews. The wrestlers, including Bret, don't acknowledge or understand the minutia that makes "passing a WWE drug test" and "having zero steroids detected in one's system" are two different things. The Today show should ask Vince McMahon these very questions. The interview should educate themselves on what was publicly reported in their policy, then ask if the policy has changed, and then ask directly whether Benoit had any steroids in his system back in April or previous to that and how long he had to "clean out his system" if he tested positive once and had to take a retest. This isn't a simple story, and the mainstream media is taking a lazy, sensationalistic approach by just focusing on "roid rage" and bringing on experts for soundbite answers to an issue that is more complex and nuanced.

On a lighter note, I suppose, I get a kick out of how wrestlers when asked about steroid use of others always say "I've never seen him take them," as if wrestlers take steroids out in the open in front of one another - especially injections of steroids in their butts. There are things people do every day that they don't do in front of anyone, but that doesn't mean they don't do it and there aren't common sense signs they do it. Question: "Did Wrestler X ever get haircuts?" Answer: "Well, he may have. There were signs, I suppose. Most people with hair do. But I never actually saw him get one."

I think mainstream media reporters are beginning to understand that Benoit was widely considered a nice guy by his colleagues and this isn't one of those many cases where a jerk dies and everyone says how nice he was "out of respect." It's thrown the maintream media for a loop, because it's a lot easier to cover this story if he was raging steroid using jerk with a long rapsheet and a rep for selfishness and thuggery in the ring or drunken mean-spirited overboard hazing out of it. It makes the build-up within Benoit and his state of mind that led to his actions all the more complex.

http://expertise.blogdrive.com