Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHS Junior declaring NBA
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=19192
19192, HS Junior declaring NBA
Posted by B9, Wed Mar-21-01 12:01 PM
Home town kid, has ton of game, "STOP RECRUITING ME!"

Kelenna Azubuike has desire to bypass college and play in the NBA
Kelenna Azubuike turned speculation into fact Monday night.
The Victory Christian junior, surrounded by his family and with his father as his spokesman, announced his desire to play in the NBA.

"We have a preference for the NBA," said Dr. Kenneth Azubuike. "We are not ruling out college at this point in time. We have to be very careful because we're dealing with a young man's life and career. But we definitely prefer the NBA."

Don't expect Azubuike to bolt to the professional ranks overnight. The state's leading scorer this year with a 37.8 average has every intention of completing his high school eligibility next season before officially declaring himself for the June 2002 draft.

That gives the 100 schools actively recruiting the 6-foot-6 junior more than a year to change his mind, or rather the opinions of all six in the Azubuike family.

Asked if he was 100 percent committed to the NBA, Kelenna Azubuike said, "I'm not opposed to college. It's not totally out of the question, but the NBA is big for us, too. We realize this is a big jump for me to make. We're still praying and making sure it is the right thing to do."

Azubuike does have a "preferred" college list that includes Duke, North Carolina, Stanford, Illinois, OU and Kansas. TU also figures in the mix due to the family's local ties.

But those aren't the only schools hoping to sway his attention to the collegiate ranks. Azubuike receives on the average 60 pieces of mail a day. Monday's haul came from North Carolina, Temple, Iowa State, Penn State, Florida State, Wisconsin, Tennessee, William & Mary, Kansas State, Illinois, Alabama, Auburn, Cincinnati, Indiana, Connecticut, Ohio State, Maryland, South Carolina, South Alabama, Syracuse, Kansas, Duke, Texas and Arkansas.

"We have mail delivered to four locations," said his father.

NBA teams that have expressed interest in Azubuike to date include the Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves and the Seattle Supersonics.

Azubuike is relying heavily on the influence of his family in his decision to go pro since it would affect everyone in it.

"If I go to the NBA, my dad might have to go with me and travel for a year or two," Kelenna said. "So the family is a huge factor."

It is sacrifices such as this that the family is willing to make. Brothers Nonso and Nesochi and sister Adaeze support their soon-to-be celebrity sibling in his professional endeavor.

"I feel he's ready to go," said older brother Nonso. "It boils down to what's best for him. That's how we will make the decision. We're very open to both options. I would like to see him go pro, but I want it to be the best thing for him."

Scouts who have seen Azubuike play say he is ready for the NBA, according to the family.

"From the professional advice we have had from people in the NBA who have looked at his talents, they say Kelenna is far more ready for the NBA than any other high school kid they have ever come across," said his father. "That, to me, is a very, very important assessment by the professionals. That's how we came to our final decision."

Kelenna has the offensive stats to back up the claim.

Azubuike led the state in scoring with 1,058 points. He shot 62 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3-point range. At the free-throw line, he shot 71 percent.

The only rap on his game is lack of defense. But Azubuike averaged 5.9 steals in the Con querors' aggressive defense.

"Kelenna has plenty of defensive skills," said Victory Christian coach Joe Mercier. "He has tremendous skills. Has that been a major part of his game for us? No.

"I personally believe Kelenna has the offensive ability to play in the NBA. It will be an easier transition to go to the NBA than to college. He can concentrate on the skills that make him so great."

The soft-spoken 17-year-old is well-insulated from hype and hoopla surrounding him.

His mother, Chi, scans the mail daily before Kelenna ever sees an envelope. Dad keeps prospective coaches, NBA scouts and the media at bay, leaving the 17-year-old to enjoy his high school years.

Money doesn't appear to be a factor in the decision. Both parents have dual medical specializations. The father is in pediatrics and neonatology, the mother in opthalmology and family medicine.

"My wife and I are, by the grace of God, solid financially," said Dr. Kenneth Azubuike. "But we do realize the excessive expenditure that will be involved in flying to his games. That's one reason we are looking at the NBA. We are a close-knit family and will remain close."

Grades aren't an issue, either. Kelenna carries a 4.0 grade-point average at Victory Christian.

The Azubuikes know their decision will be questioned.

Why not wait a year or two until he becomes a more seasoned player? Or isn't a college education important?

They have answers.

"We are looking at what is best for Kelenna," said Dr. Azubuike. "I can tell you for sure that our priority right now is for the NBA."

The announcement will not affect his amateur status. Danny Rennels of the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association said until he actually signs with an agent or accepts money, his amateur status remains intact.

19193, is this a joke?
Posted by fats, Wed Mar-21-01 12:16 PM
5.9 steals a game and 4.0 gpa? both parents doctors? i bet his shit smells like roses, too.
19194, RE: is this a joke?
Posted by B9, Wed Mar-21-01 02:48 PM
Its tulsa, man..thats how peachy things are here.
19195, LINKS TIME
Posted by jose3030, Wed Mar-21-01 03:13 PM

http://www.hwood.com/hawks/Azubuike.htm
http://www.midwestbasketball.com/recruiting_plus.html
http://www.tulsaworld.com/html/gennext.html
http://www.uncbasketball.com/recruiting/class2002/rankings.shtml

Sun-Wed : 3030 show, 1pm-12am
http://24.18.168.183:554/ramgen/encoder/okayplayer.ram

Arnold:
http://members.nbci.com/ogando/jail.ra
"This Means You and Copa Cabanga remix"
http://members.nbci.com/ogando/remix.ra

jose3030@acuradriver.com

19196, RE: LINKS TIME
Posted by DonKnutts, Wed Mar-21-01 03:17 PM
that guy looks about 14 years old.
19197, RE: LINKS TIME
Posted by 8thlight, Thu Mar-29-01 05:35 AM
On one of the sites linked to, the highest he was rated was 18th in the country. This guy sounds like he's destined for the new ABA or that NBA developmental league.

"It's tough to get up at 5 o'clock in the morning, when you're sleeping in silk pajamas." - Marvelous Marvin Hagler

"Quite people aren't the only ones who don't say much." - Bazooka Joe

"Some people get love, but don't command respect/ That's something you can't buy with a check/ Or a Rolle or Lex/ Or icy links that hang from ya neck/ If it's real who needs to deal with the special effect?" - Mos
19198, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted by nick, Wed Mar-21-01 04:44 PM
"All for the cash man"
19199, RE: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-22-01 04:35 AM
what? no....his parents "think that the transition to the NBA will be EASIER than the transition to college"///hahaha...
money? NO! YOU DONT SAY!
benine
19200, UPDATE!
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-29-01 05:01 AM
All of a sudden it all becomes clear:

Kenneth Azubuike insists that his financial problems are not linked to his son's NBA plans.
The father of a Tulsa basketball star is under investigation by federal and state authorities regarding more than $300,000 that physicians and others invested in his companies.

Well, couldnt clip the whole story, but app. the kids dad has declared bankruptcy 4 TIMES and is on his 5th, and that is just in THIS country. In England, where the family actually came here from, he left owing $500,000. He doesnt even have a dr's license to practice in the US and keeps coming up with STUPID healthcare products like "therapudic soap" and shit...hahaha. To top it off, he pimps this shit to dr's and other big money types because he is a "godly man" and is some bible thumping christian turd. Yeah, SURE, you dont want your son going to the NBA to save your ass, OKAY ;)

Bastard is going to rob his son of an education to save his own ass.

benine
19201, thats that shit
Posted by Binlahab, Thu Mar-29-01 06:12 AM
hilarious.

'the world is full of pimps and hoes, i just talk about those I know...'

take it ez

yap that fool.
19202, won't happen
Posted by sexymf, Thu Mar-29-01 05:09 AM
David Stern will NOT let this kid set foot in the NBA. He'll make a Joe Smith like agreement with all the owners to let this kid go untouched.

"If we don't meet no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late..." Jimi Hendrix

19203, RE: won't happen
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-29-01 05:44 AM
He is just saying that he is gonna do it NEXT year, not this year.
19204, He still needs to go to school n/m
Posted by sexymf, Thu Mar-29-01 06:05 AM
"If we don't meet no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late..." Jimi Hendrix

19205, no shit!
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-29-01 06:10 AM
But like i posted in the update, its his brokeass dad that is trying to get him to jump. He wont even be drafted right now, i think. Victory plays in 4A against NO players at all. Every school in the nation is recruiting him, so he has his picks, and he needs to beef up a bit. I am not sure if he has the aggresive nature yet to play in the NBA, so a school that plays in a tough conference would do him well. Also, he could pick up any degree he wants, not just "Athletic Education" like so many players go for.
Shame his dad is a shister.
19206, OH PLEASE....
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Mar-29-01 07:17 AM
STOP PLAYING LIKE THESE NBA PROSPECTS GO TO COLLEGE FOR THEIR EDUCATION...NEWSFLASH!!!

LAST TIME I TURNED ON THE SET IVERSON MADE A COUPLE OF EIGHT YEAR OLDS I KNOW SOUND LIKE ALEX HALEY!!

Don't fool yourselves...

These atheletes go to college to see if they can make it into the NBA PREP Program first...then they decide whether or not to hit the books pending on if their team can make it to the sweet sixteen.

AI went to GEORGETOWN!!
Kobe didn't even go to a community college.

Who is more intelligent?
Do keep in mind Kobe speaks many languages!

The only thing these colleges do teach these atheletes is how to distance themselves from politics and black women!!
19207, sitcho ass down
Posted by sexymf, Thu Mar-29-01 07:39 AM
He needs to go to school to develop his game, I mentioned nothing about a damn degree, that's extra. Kobe and Garnett are fucking freaks of nature, this kid maybe too, but I highly doubt it. Since no developmental league is in place, he needs to go to school at a major D1 program and learn how to play grown folks ball.

19208, THANK YOU!
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-29-01 07:52 AM
I didnt think anyone besides myself saw the need for the developmental league. Thank you! I have seen this kid play, and yeah, he looks amazing, but only in comparision to who he is playing. His school is in a soft conference and only plays the small schools (although when they played my old school ,Booker T., out of conference, he lit us up...big time). He is no Kobe or KG. He would fit in with a 'smart' coaching system like Duke or Kansas or Illinois or Mizzu or OU. He may even go local and go to UTulsa (wishfull thinking, perhaps), but his crumb-bum of a dad may keep that from happening.

benine
19209, RE: sitcho ass down
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Mar-29-01 07:58 AM
>Since no developmental league is
>in place, he needs to
>go to school at a
>major D1 program and learn
>how to play grown folks
>ball.

NO DOUBT. I'LL TELL YOU WHAT YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. I MISREAD YOU. COULD YOU IMAGINE IF T-MAC OR MILES WENT TO COLLEGE?

19210, and...
Posted by sexymf, Thu Mar-29-01 07:57 AM
If Iverson's dad(who wasn't around) lived in Italy and played overseas, I am quite sure he'd be multi-lingual too. They dont have shit to do with Kobe or Iverson is has to do with their upbringings. Kobe is more intelligent because he had two parents, who stressed being well rounded, and Kobe could have gotten in on grades alone. Iverson's mom was a crack head, he raised himself, thus the product we see now. Shit, Kenyon Martin went to school for four years and didn't graduate. KG didn't go to school, and he ain't too bright either. There's no set gauge for intelligence. However what IS clear, and the point I was trying to make is that this high school kid needs to play D1 b-ball.

19211, Dajuan Wagner is the truth!!!
Posted by Solitayre, Thu Mar-29-01 07:19 AM
100+ points in one game to set the NJ state record.

NUFF SAID
19212, RE: Dajuan Wagner is the truth!!!
Posted by B9, Thu Mar-29-01 07:28 AM
And couldnt get an 18 on the act if his life (or college scholarship, whatever) depended on it!